Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bayareafrancy

Do 20 amp pushbutton switches exist??

bayareafrancy
16 years ago

Hi all,

I've convinced my husband to install pushbutton switches in our home. We have the ones carried by Classic Accents. They are 15 amp. But in our kitchen, the garbage disposal needs a 20 amp switch.

Dang it: I've been restoring my vintage kitchen for 2 years now. I need that switch! It is on a prominent wall, and I don't want to have one "modern" switch there.

I don't know of any brand other than CA.

Help!

Francy

Comments (13)

• mom2lilenj
    16 years ago

I don't know of any so no help there. But if you can't find any an air switch for the disposal might be less obtrusive than a regular switch. Have you called CA to see if they know of any that can carry 20 amps?

I'm sure this is completely not to code, but to cut the current you could connect two switchs in parallel and just make sure you switch both of them at the same time. LOL :)

• kec01
    16 years ago

We have all Classic Accents as well, including the one for our garbage disposal...a Kitchen Aid. Ours has been fine for nearly 2 years now. But, give CA a call and see what they say.

Rejuvenation also has push buttons but I think they are the same manufacturer as those at CA, just more expensive. You could check there, too.

• charles_von_hamm
    16 years ago

Do not do what mom2lilenj said. A chain is only as strong as its weakest link. That applies to electrical as well. It doesn't make sense either.

• mom2lilenj
    16 years ago

I'm sorry I should have specified I was kidding :( Because there is no way you could practically switch the switches at exactly the same time.

• bayareafrancy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I got the joke!

And my husband might agree to a dedicated 15 amp switch (it's currently on a dedicated 20)...

Thanks!
    Francy

• brickeyee
    16 years ago

"But in our kitchen, the garbage disposal needs a 20 amp switch."

Based on?
    On 20 A garbage disposal would be around 3 horsepower.
    If you have an institutional/commercial model, but not a home model.
    You are allowed to use 15 A devices on a 20 A branch circuit.

• mom2lilenj
    16 years ago

bayareafrancy glad you got the joke! I'm not sure what the electrical code allows but if the garbage disposal is rated for a dedicated 15 amp service could you put in a 15 amp circuit breaker to make sure the current doesn't exceed 15 amps then you could put in the switch even though the circuit line otherwise can handle 20 amps?

• normel
    16 years ago

What Brickeye said. Unless the GD draws more than 12A (very unlikely), you can use a 15A switch.

• sarschlos_remodeler
    16 years ago

Hey Francy -- Rejuvenation had pushbutton switches -- not sure the amps, but I do remember seeing them on their website. I think either klb or jgarner had vintage pushbutton switches in their kitchens. You might ask on the kitchens forum. HTH.

• User
    15 years ago

Maybe you could use an AC relay to control the disposal so only a small amount of power would need to go through your switch (just enough to activate the relay).

• beth62
    14 years ago

I just found these - currently not UL rated though....

Here is a link that might be useful: vintage hardware

• brickeyee
    14 years ago

You do NOT NEED a 20 amp switch.

The GD is NOT large enough.

The National Electric Code (NEC) allows the use of 15 amp devices (switches and duplex receptacles) on 20 amp circuits.

• mightyanvil
    14 years ago

When one of my clients has had a wall switch to operate their disposer they invariably wish to avoid doing it again because it is difficult to distinguish the switch from a standard light switch and others turn it on by mistake.

I recommend an air operated switch with a simple wall push button or better yet get a disposer that is turned on by a magnetic switch in the opening so it operates when the stopper is inserted.