Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zagyzebra_gw

hardwood or laminate

zagyzebra
11 years ago

Have any of you dared to put laminate that looks like hardwood on your floors? If so, why and how do you like -- or dislike -- it? If not, why not?

Nowadays, laminate floors look just like hardwood; laminate floors are even being used in high-end homes.

Comments (10)

• bldn10
    11 years ago

I wouldn't put laminate in a dog house! Fake crap that can't ever be refinished. I can't image a true "high-end" house having laminate in any room that matters. More likely they are using engineered flooring - a "laminate" that has real wood on top and can be refinished.

• southerncanuck
    11 years ago

Not many new hardwoods out there that can be refinished today. Dear wifes choice is laminate, mine is solid hardwood then engineered. Something about easy to care for laminates. I personally have not seen laminates used in high end homes, never.

• greg_2010
    11 years ago

Not many new hardwoods out there that can be refinished today
    Huh? What would stop you from refinishing hardwood?

In my opinion, no matter how real laminate looks, it can never actually fool you. The newer stuff looks better than it used to, but you can still tell.

Laminate is more durable, but once it fails you can't repair it.

• zagyzebra
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all for your responses. I knew as much myself, but just wanted assurances. Case closed as far as I'm concerned. Not even in a dog house!

• zagyzebra
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all for your responses. I knew as much myself, but just wanted assurances. Case closed as far as I'm concerned. Not even in a dog house!

• karinl
    11 years ago

I've looked at a couple of refurbished (badly) old houses where laminate had been put in, and I didn't like it because it looked out of place (as did the stainless steel appliances - shudder!) I concluded there were two things about the flooring that made it not work: one that it was super shiny, and the other that the supposed "boards" were not discrete enough. Maybe it could work if you didn't have those two issues. If cheap is all you can afford, then the next owner can maybe spring for the real thing - who cares if it can't be refinished as long as it can be replaced.

Karin L

• worthy
    11 years ago

I'm not an aesthetic snob. Every material has its place and its appropriate use. Laminate was developed in Europe and was used in rental properties; when the tenant moved, they took their floors with them.

I've used high-end laminate in renos of modest older homes. It's also popular for rental properties because of its wear strength. Right now, I have a 1,500 sf stack in my garage ready to go into our own home for a temporary reno. (House is scheduled for demo in a couple of years.) I may pick it up then for reuse or sell it. (Try that with hardwood!)

I have seen it used in multi-million dollar homes for an occasional basement room.

• southerncanuck
    11 years ago

The reason most new hardwoods can not be finished with traditional sanding is that they contain nickel oxide in the finish that will literally destroy a sanding disc.

• columbusguy1
    11 years ago

So buy unfinished hardwood...easy solution, Canuck. :)

• southerncanuck
    11 years ago

O yea can do that to. Not I, someone much more nimble and younger.