Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jamesbodell

Drainage/french drain depths and pipe type

jamesbodell
18 years ago

My 100 year old barn with ruble foundation is wet underneath! The soil is saturated and sometimes has puddles. If I dig into the soil, I usually get water leaching into puddles in the low spots. A few inches under the soil is ledge.

This has taken it toll over the years in the form of rot and I want to address it now.

In order to prevent the water from running under the house, I have dug a trench on the high side of the house down two feet and to the ledge, about 5 feet from the house so as not to disturb the ruble foundation. I intend to build a french drain to carry the water running along the ledge away from the house.

I will fill the bottom foot of the trench with gravel and pipe, surrounded by landscape fabric, and then bury. I also plan to tie in the down spouts.

My question is, what type of drainage pipe can I use. I have two kinds, the black flexible pipe that comes in 100 foot rolls, and the SCH 40 drainge. Can I use the black pipe here? Is there a possibility of crushing this stuff if I bury it too deep? Cost is my main concern here, but I would prefer not to do this again. But I think the sch 40 might be over kill here.

What do you all think?

Comments (4)