Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kerrygw

Arts & Crafts/Craftsman bathrooms?

kerrygw
15 years ago

Hi -

We're remodeling an early 1900s house that definitely has some Arts & Crafts/Craftsman/Shingle style influence. Currently I'm trying to get some inspiration for the bathrooms. The downstairs will be all stained wood trim, so I'm thinking we should continue that into the powder room on that floor. The upstairs however will be white trim, so the 2 full baths there will need to coordinate with that. We've remodeled our current early 1900s house but it's much more a Victorian style, so I find myself in unfamiliar waters. Is beadboard paneling appopriate in a Craftsman type house, or would panel wainscot be more the thing to do? I'd love to see/hear what others with this type of house have done - all ideas/pictures/thoughts are appreciated!

Comments (6)

• sacto_diane
    15 years ago

I would suggest Jane Powell's book, "Bungalow Bathrooms". It has a lot of examples of bathrooms that would be appropriate for an A&C/Craftsman house.

Diane

Here is a link that might be useful: Bungalow Bathrooms

• jcin_los_angeles
    15 years ago

Our 1910 Craftsman has both beadboard and paneling, stained on the ground floor and mostly painted upstairs. I think either would be fine.

• lauren674
    15 years ago

We did some research before redoing our 70's paneled bathroom in our 1920-ish brick bungalow. We believe the original was very simple: 1" hex tile floor with a blue daisy pattern, scored plaster walls (faux tile) a wood board trim around the whole room to top the faux tile, wood inset medicine cabinet, pedestal or hanging sink, likely a clawfoot or similar type deep tub, porcelain cross handles and escutcheons. There are a number of 'bungalow' books that you can refer to for arts & crafts design ideas.

I think either paneling or bead board would be fine, a porcelain mosaic floor of a type and color you like, an inset medicine cabinet...console or pedestal sink (or a 'craftsman' type vanity), and tile might be square or subway, colored or white, staggered or stacked. These details varied a lot by the region or builder/tile setter doing the work. Sometimes the floors were linoleum. Around here, the bathroom materials used at that time were very basic.

We kept with the era on a number of choices, but probably bringing in paneling and squared fixtures is more what you'd be looking for.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bungalow Bathroom Remodel

• kerrygw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone for the info and ideas. I've reserved the Bungalow Bathrooms book at the library, which I'm sure will be very helpful. Lauren, your bathroom is lovely - fantastic job!!

• calliope
    15 years ago

I have a craftsman bungalow I inherited from my folks. The bath is one of my fav rooms of the house. Clawfoot tub. Pedestal sink, two wooden medicine cabinets and one what looks like bakelite cantilevered shelf. Prissy, art-deco style light fixtures. Wood floor. Wet plaster walls, and archways and natural wood trim. Simple, and you could see that they were trying to be 'modern' for the time. LOL.

• wilkinson_victoria_gmail_com
    15 years ago

We have a 1907 arts and crafts style house and have recently redone a 70's bathroom.

Throughout the house are dark beams and moldings, etc.

In the bathroom we put white subway tile (cream grout) in the bath/shower area and white octagonal tile (slate gray grout) on the floor.

We got craftsman style moldings to put around the ceiling area and a narrow shelf-type molding around the top of the wainscotting. (The 'wainscotting' was actually previously stained cedar on the walls and ceiling.) I put primer over the stained cedar and painted the ceiling and all woodwork with Benjamin Moore 'white chocolate.' The walls are now painted Benj.M. 'powell buff.'

We kept the built-in cabinetry and a large mirror that slides open to store towels and toiletries. I also did as much of the work as I could (which was mostly a little wall work and a lot of painting.)

We purchased a new toilet, tub, sink and fixtures, a large and small light fixture, wood moldings, supplies, paint and the cost of two guys working for a few days to install tub, raise counter height several inches and put on a new countertop and install the tile. The total cost for everything was about $10,000.

I love the new (old) look. If I could have anything different I would have liked either a clawfoot tub or pedestal sink or both. But what we did actually looks very nice and we are very pleased.