Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
White Cedar Shingles: Best price?

Posted by TeamLDH (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 6, 14 at 9:27

Hi all,

My wife and I are gearing up to restore the outside of our 1903 home and we are looking to replace the vinyl siding with cedar shakes.

I was wondering if anyone knew of a mill on the eastcoast that has great prices on white cedar shakes?

Thanks,
TeamLDH

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: White Cedar Shingles: Best price?

A friend bought a trailer full out of Western Canada. Even with shipping it was about half the cost and we are on the east coast. This house is in older town on the water with crazy prices. I got a box of 18" western red cedar primed shakes no. 1 grade all heart wood $130, 2 yrs ago. Three boxes to the square (10' x 10') , and people wonder why vinyl is used.
Google Teal Cedar, I believe they are in British Columbia

o

Pretty sure Teal-Jones Group only does Western Red Cedar shingle and shake products. For quality White Cedar your choices will be fewer and most of the quality mills I am aware of only sell wholesale. And in my opinion Cedar Shingles are not something to buy site unseen from a vendor or other the internet as I have seen some pretty poor product from all of the mills at one time or another.

o

We got beautiful white cedar shingles (siding shakes) from a local mill, Longfellows, in Windsor Maine. Highly recommend the quality, beautifully rebutted and squared, and they'll do a primer dip or stain or paint for you as requested.

The price was less than a national company, and I suspect the quality is slightly higher, and the service definitely is better.

Don't know about shipping costs, as we're local to the mill and picked up ourselves, but you might want to look into this and similar family-owned operations in your area?

Here is a link that might be useful: Longfellows Cedar Shingles

o

Circuspeanut, thanks for that link! I am in search of a better quality shingle than I have been able to find in the building supply stores. Will be shingling a new build in Bar Harbor. Would you be willing to post pictures of your shingles?

o

Sure thing, Birch - sorry for delay in responding, I just cruised by this forum again. The guys are only about half done due to many delays for bad weather. I'll snap some photos for you tomorrow.

I can only speak in the highest terms of Longfellows, they have gone above and beyond for us and the shingles are really gorgeous. Our old-tyme carpenter (72 years old and counting!) says they're a local secret. ;-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here