Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
3' hole through my poured concrete foundation

Posted by christophersprks (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 24, 10 at 9:18

Hello folks/Professionals,

I need to drill a 3" hole through my poured concrete foundation below grade.
It's a poured concrete foundation constructed back in 1954 with a sprayed membrane for waterproofing. I have been in this house for 14 yrs. and we've never had any water problems.
Ok, I think thats enough background on the subject.
The actual question is:
How close to the corner would be safe to drill this 3" hole without repercussions?
Of course I will seal the hole back up with a mortar and use something to waterproof it.

Any and all suggestions will be appreciated

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 3' hole through my poured concrete foundation

A single 3 inch hole has no significant structural effects, especially if it is not near the very top of the wall (at least 6 inches below and it sounds like you will be down a decent distance).

A concrete coring company would be a good investment.
They will use diamond coring bits to create a smooth hole with little chance of damage from hammering.

o
RE: 3' hole through my poured concrete foundation

Thank you for your speedy reply.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here