Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dwizzo

Replace ledger strip with joist hangers (floor joist support)

dwizzo
14 years ago

I have a 1927 bungalow with sagging floors. We've decided to jack the floors up from the unfinished basement and sister all the existing floor joists, which are 2X8 16" OC running 13'1" spans. The existing floor joists are resting on a wooden sill plate on the foundation of the house on one end, and at the center of the house they are notched and "barely" resting on a 2x2" ledger strip which is nailed to three 2X8's sandwiched together and running the length of the house supported by masonry columns. My contractor has recommended we get rid of the ledger completely as it's sagging/barely hanging on. He wants to replace the ledger with double-wide joist hangers everywhere.

My question is, can you place a notched floor joist into a joist hanger? I've only seen flush applications where the joist is uncut and presses firmly against the supporting structure that the hanger is nailed into.

Also, keep in mind, that these joists will be sistered to new 2X8" southern pine #2, THEN placed into a double wide (3") wide joist hanger.

Comments (9)

• macv
    14 years ago

If you are jacking the floor up, the new joists will be doing all of the work so I would nail the old and new joists together well, provide proper end bearing for the new joists, and not worry about the old joist bearing.

• dwizzo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

macv: Agreed, new and old joists will be properly sistered (glued and nailed together). But how to provide proper end bearing for the new joist on the ledger strip side is the question.

Originally I was going to use a Simpson 90 degree attachment, but I would think a double hanger for both joists would be more sturdy and would remove the ledger strip completely. My concern was the notch in the existing joist. Here's a picture of what it currently looks like:

http://www.infoarena.com/pics/joist/existing.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful:

• brickeyee
    14 years ago

Fill the existing notch with some packing to match the thickness of the old joist.

The ends of the joist are pretty much all in compression, so just filling on the notch to transfer any load to the hanger will work fine.

• worthy
    14 years ago

If, as macv say, the new joists are are all that's really necessary, go with single hangers.

The notches violate the Code I build under. Probably all others too. Typical renovator/diy work.

• dwizzo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

brickeyee: Thanks for the tip on filling in the notch!

worthy: I still don't see how I would get a single hanger in there since you need to nail/screw BOTH sides of the hanger and since we are sistering there's no way to do that.

worthy: As for violating code, I thought you could notch the outer ends as long as the notch is small enough (e.g. - Not more than 1/4 the depth, 1/3 the length, etc)?

• worthy
    14 years ago

I still don't see how I would get a single hanger in there since you need to nail/screw BOTH sides of the hanger and since we are sistering there's no way to do that.

Neither do I.

I thought you could notch the outer ends as long as the notch is small enough (e.g. - Not more than 1/4 the depth, 1/3 the length, etc)?

O.B.C.[Ontario Building Code]
    "9.23.5.2. Notching of Framing Members
    (1) Floor, roof and ceiling framing members are permitted to be notched provided the notch is located on the top of the member within half the joist depth from the edge of bearing and is not deeper than one-third the joist depth, unless the depth of the member is increased by the size of the notch." (emphasis added)

• dwizzo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

brickeyee: I think I will leave a piece of the existing ledger strip under the existing joist as packing material, and use plenty of construction adhesive in the joist. Sound reasonable?

worthy: Ah, I never thought it made a difference where on the end the notch is, especially since most cuts I've seen are on the bottom for a ledger strip/board.

worthy: Are you being sarcastic about the "Neither do I" comment? I hope not because I honestly don't know how to get a single joist hanger into a new joist that's being sistered and neither do the 3 contractors who I got quotes from. So, we're going to use double-wide custom made joist hangers for everything because the existing joists are 1.75" actual width and the new 2X8 SYP is 1.5", making an unusual 3.25" width for the joist hanger.

• worthy
    14 years ago

Are you being sarcastic about the "Neither do I" comment?

I'm slapping my--well, actually she's slapping her head--in embarrassment.

• brickeyee
    14 years ago

You can use some adhesive, but you really do not need it since the packing piece will be contained enough it will not be going anywhere.