Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dcfixerupper_gw

Help! Painted Knotty Pine Paneling Has Huge Gaps In Winter

dcfixerupper
14 years ago

We painted the knotty pine paneling in the family room - unfortunately, this was done before we knew about shellac-based primer. We should have read up on how to do it - our painters primed it two or three times and then painted w/ latex-based paint.

It's looked great through the summer (room has central AC). This winter, we waited a bit, but finally turned on the heat in the room, which is via radiant floors. Now, there's been so much expansion that there are a number of 1/3 - 1/4 or more inch gaps between the planks and in the grooves. Even the double crown molding in the ceiling has gaps between the 2 rows (they used the pine paneling for the molding).

It looks awful! Is it too late to do much? Do we need to pull it out/drywall or can we save it? I really like the character of the painted look. Also, the knots are starting to show through slightly - I assume we can't apply the shellac-based primer now?

Should we caulk it while it's expanded in the winter, reprime, repaint? What will work - I've been searching on the internet and it doesn't seem that others have reported this problem.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!