Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
glm1960

Color My House, Part 2

GLM1960
13 years ago

Sorry, I flubbed in a previous post. I am new here and trying to figure out how to post pics..lol

Here's the house we recently purchased. Circa 1889. Its a hybrid. Meaning a mixture of styles. The best I can figure out is that its either a Colonial or vernacular Farmhouse with Queen Anne porch. I am doing some research to see if the porch was an addition.

Here's my question. What color(s) should I paint the exterior? I want the pillars/columns and trim to stand out more.I was told by an old house expert to choose earth tones. Muted colors like dark green or brown. But none of that really appeals to me.

Any suggestions would be really appreciated!

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (12)

• GLM1960
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I did forget to add that all but the porch and balcony have siding. I have been told that historic houses should not be sided because it loses its original appeal and the designs get covered up. Someday I may remove the siding and bring back the original beauty. I was thinking of not painting the siding and just paint the porch and balcony.

Any thoughts?

• kimkitchy
    13 years ago

Hi GLM & welcome!
    Glad you finally got a photo to link up. What an interesting home you have! I wouldn't be surprised if the porch was added on at some point.

Does anybody else think that the balusters on the porch don't really seem to go with those ionic columns? Just seems a little off to me.

I can sure understand having siding that you aren't ready to take off yet. We have it too and may never remove it from the sides and back because we are intimidated by having to repair and paint the old siding (and perhaps doing so over and over into our old age). We have a long skinny lot and the house is long too, the sides and back look OK and aren't seen much from the street. Anyway, we'll probably strip the front of the house and porch (facing the street) and at least restore that facade. We've already removed the siding and put shingles in the front gable end. So, I get that.

What I think is difficult, in both our cases, is finding colors that look good with the white "body" of the house. We ended up using a dark green trim, and three colors on our shingles -- a med-dark spruce green (SW Underseas), a lighter green (SW Recycled Glass) and an off white (SW Westhighland White) Our home is a completely different vintage than yours though. I'll be interested to see what others suggest for your porch.

• Billl
    13 years ago

My favorite inspiration website.

Here is a link that might be useful: house colors

• columbusguy1
    13 years ago

Hi GLM!
    It's my opinion that the porch is probably original--no one would add such an extensive porch later--it would have been simpler in detail. The balusters could be replacements, but if so, they aren't anywhere near recent--look at where the rails join the columns: are there any signs of other attachments, like filled screw holes etc.? Your house could be Greek Revival since it has those columns.
    Have you thought of painting the siding as well?
    In the '80s and '90s, tertiary colors were all the rage--some earth tones, but also olive, plum and citrine among others. A great book is Victorian Exterior Decoration by Roger Moss.

Here is a link that might be useful: Moss' Book Recommendation

• GLM1960
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the responses. Olive sounds like a good exterior color with maybe a different shade of green for the trim, or burgundy.

At this point we do not wish to paint the siding. We hope to be moving into the house in late Feb and will have a ton of work to do. I really want to find out why it was sided in the first place. If it was to hide a moisture problem or serious flaws, then these need to be dealt with. Not just covered up. I also want to know what the original color was and if any decoration or unique designs are hidden. Perhaps it was always white, but it needs sprucing up.

The balusters/railings do have some wood rot and are mostly all loose. The seller has some propped up on bricks and rope to hold them up.

• columbusguy1
    13 years ago

Based on what you say, I think the porch and rails are original then. The main reason for siding was to avoid paintng, but if there was any damage previously, siding wouldn't have stopped it getting worse if the siding was badly installed. A likely change to have been made was sawing off the ends of the window sills so they would be the same width as the casings--easier than siding around them.
    You might not like the original colors--when I bought my house, it was entirely white--but originally it was dark chocolate brown with a tan/beige trim, same colors as the neighbor's house, so I know it was ugly. :) Attached is a link to the current colors, taken from Moss' book. The pic was done by the city auditor, so quality sucks.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• GLM1960
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I agree that old house colors are not exactly appealing. I prefer brighter colors but I fear it will not mesh with the houses in my neighborhood. I am thinking that its safe to keep the house white and just paint the trims and columns to make them stand out more.

• summerfielddesigns
    13 years ago

if you paint the siding , i think that you will be able to see a greater contrast for the columns and trim ... a darker colour fo the balustrade will last longer , give contrast , and require less washing ...

a great house , by the way :-)

• powermuffin
    13 years ago

Summerfield has it right, imo. The footings for the columns would look much better if the house was painted a earthy color, which doesn't mean dark necessarily. A soft gray green like above would look very nice with cream trim, and black, dark brown or dark green shutters.
    Diane

• mimsy13
    13 years ago

I am very partial to sage (gray) green. My house is done in very similar colors as the green above. However, my neighbors across the street went with a combo recommended by Benjamin Moore. It is a soft, perhaps a littled grayed down light blue with dark blue shutters and front door. Another touch that is really nice is staining the door rather painting it. I've seen this in my community of older homes. We did not go that route because of the expense, but it is a real standout. I think you could probably find this in the Ben Moore Historical Color brochure. I could find the names for sure if you like. What is nice about the blue is that it seems both stately and lighthearted.

• GLM1960
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for all who responded. I love the house drawing above. What wonderful ideas! Sage green too sounds very pretty.

I sent a photo of my house to an exterior paint expert. He advise me to leave the pillars white along with the white vinyl siding, and just paint, the trim and railings. He even suggested slate blue. He sent me a copy of my house painted in this color. I thought it looked bad and not a historical house color. The pillars were not even noticeable as they blended with the white of the house.

I agree that muted earth tones may be best or perhaps creme and peach. My house is rather harsh looking and could use some softening up.

• jlc102482
    13 years ago

What a great house! Have you tried looking at any of the "Painted Ladies" books? They are full of interesting color schemes that may give you some ideas for palettes, even if you don't want to do an actual painted lady with many colors.

Here is a link that might be useful: Two