Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Easiest way to draw layout of old house to work with ?

Posted by gardurnit (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 12, 10 at 4:00

Easiest way to draw layout of old house to work with in home projects?

I've got a large 2 story 1914 house that I'd like to draw out the rooms relative to each
other.

I have done it by hand several times.

It's time I commit it to digital so it's not required to redraw it over and over.
I even have a drawing pad for my computer which I don't mind trying out for this.

What's the most expedient way to accomplish this so the drawings can be used for
other purposes or other people seeing it?

Thanks

Andre

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Easiest way to draw layout of old house to work with ?

SketchUp is 3D, fun to use, and free from Google .

o

I can't figure out how to use sketchup...admittedly it has been 2 years since i tried. I tried total 3-d home too but it had a lot of limitations that I could not figure out how to resolve. I will be watching this thread as I am also interested

o

How about using a photocopier instead of a computer? The old trick of drawing the outline once, carefully to scale, and making copies to use for sketching out ideas has always worked for me. If you need a digital file, you can scan it.

The more programs they come out with, the more I appreciate pencil, graph paper, and ruler!

KarinL

o

Pencil and paper still works.

If you want to try different furniture arrangements paper cutouts of the furniture on a scale drawing are still faster than you can drag things around with a mouse.

o

How many of the free video tutorials did you study before deciding that you didn't know how to use SketchUp?

If you paid $500 for the Pro version you would probably learn how to use it in a day.

o

Pencil, paper, ruler....and a copier :) That's what I do too!

o

I went through the same thing, then, sat down and actually read the total 3d instructions and went through the tutorial and finally figured it out, sort of, enough to work from the space plan and design plan parts, forget the rest! It's enough to get by on but I'll be watching to see if there is something easier!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here