Return to the Motorcycles/Scooters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
high beams at night?

Posted by maxthedog (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 24, 06 at 12:47

someone told me that you should ride with high beams at night so motorists can see you even better. Someone else said just the opposite - ride with high beams during the day. The brightness of the high beams won't affect drivers during the day.

Do any of you ever use high beams in either of these situations?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: high beams at night?

High beams during the day is usually tolerated by motorists.

High beams at night WILL affect motorists and is illegal, too.

o

You could also try one of those flasher units for daytime riding (similar to what many BMWs have). They work by turning your high beams on in the light, and if you don't want the flashing just turn the highs off. When it's dark, they have a light sensor that turns the flashing off and allows for normal use of the high beams.

As for riding during the day, I don't think high beams help much. It just seems to me like one of those things that people do to make themselves feel safer, and at night I only use the highs when I need to, usually around turns.

o

I annualy put about 25000 miles on my 2 wheeler to commute everyday rain or shine. I've been doing this since my first bike 1979 GS750E which was replaced many years ago and my current ride is a ZX-10R. I would NEVER ride without my high beam ON during daytime. I can CLEARLY tell 4-wheel cagers who are ahead of me become a lot more careful when I have my high beam on, such as no sudden cutting off front of me.
When riding a bike, consider yourself as invisiable to 4-wheel cagers. I've seen too many accidents where a biker gets killed or seriously injured on collision with a car, and the car driver saying "I never sam him coming..." Thus make yourself as visable as possible to others. It can save your life.

o

I run day and night with my highbeam on...have not been stopped yet for it...I say the more we can do to "be seen", the better.

o

lellie,

I hope you are talking about using your high beams when there are no other cars around ... like when you are following a car or if a car is coming toward you.

There is no problem with using your high beams in the day time but at night you run as much risk of blinding the other driver as other cars do and could create a problem for yourself. Not to mention the fact you may simply upset the other driver which could cause them to do something that would be detrimental to your health.

Add extra running lights if that makes you feel better but ride courteously at all times ... treat other drivers as you would want to be treated. If it doesn't bother you for someone to approach you or drive behind you with their high beams on then .... by all means tape over your high/low beam switch. If you don't like it then don't do it.

KC

o

Well...I live on an island...our speed limit is 35 mph in most areas...25 in others.
If one does the speed limit and rides (or drives a vehicle), correctly....that is, leaving at least 1 car/bike length per mph between another vehicle, the brights should not bother the vehicle in front of you.
As I said...no on-coming vehicle has EVER flashed their lights at me so I can only assume mine on the Deuce, don't bother them...and I KNOW the high beam on my Flathead isn't even bright enough to affect anyone...it's got a 6-volt system.

o

I personally don't like the high beams or flasher/headlights for visibility. They are annoying. My safety depends on a constant vigil of what the other driver/operator is doing as they are often doing the same to you. Car accidents happen even more often than car/motorcycle and for the same reason-not looking often enough and not paying attention. Want to be safe, never trust. Always keep eye contact and watch that front tire at an intersection. Never be the first to leave the light.

o

To Mister_H:

With an attitude like yours, it's no wonder We as M/C riders get a bad image. The " I don't give a sh*t " attitude you represent is about as stupid as guys riding Crotch rockets @ 100+ MPH in shorts and thongs. In your 25000 annual miles has anyone ever flashed thier high beams at you, or shot you the finger for thinking only of yourself ? Get a clue, you're not the only guy out there so try not to make us ALL look bad. BTW, The original poster didn't ask how long you've ridden, or want to be bored by you boasting about your past/present Bikes, (which suck BTW).

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// //////

Posted by mister_h (My Page) on Fri, Dec 1, 06 at 15:46
I annualy put about 25000 miles on my 2 wheeler to commute everyday rain or shine. I've been doing this since my first bike 1979 GS750E which was replaced many years ago and my current ride is a ZX-10R. I would NEVER ride without my high beam ON during daytime. I can CLEARLY tell 4-wheel cagers who are ahead of me become a lot more careful when I have my high beam on, such as no sudden cutting off front of me.
When riding a bike, consider yourself as invisiable to 4-wheel cagers. I've seen too many accidents where a biker gets killed or seriously injured on collision with a car, and the car driver saying "I never sam him coming..." Thus make yourself as visable as possible to others. It can save your life.

o

I think the whole bright lights in the daytime is long overdue for a re-think.

While the bikes of the 40's thru mid 80's often had pretty poor headlights, almost all of the recent bikes have very bright lights.

o

offroad_rcr
I use high beam ONLY during day time when sun is bright. Why are you so angry?

o

The rules for high versus low beam for motorcycles is the same as for automobiles, especially at night. During the day, either high or low beam improves your noticeability, but high beams can be irritating to oncoming traffic when the sky is overcast. I recommend low beams during the day. You don't need the light to see the roadway; it's there to make you noticed and the low beam is sufficient for that purpose. [Notice that the daytime running lights on autos are a little dimmer than for regular night time running. This is done with a special solid state lighting control. I worked for a company that made these.]

At night, I recommend high beams when there is no oncoming traffic. A motorcyclist needs all the sight distance he can get, and many of us overdrive the lamps at night. However, the rule for dimming the headlamp for oncoming traffic is the same as for autos. It's a courtesy and is the law in every state that I have driven in over the past 5 years.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Motorcycles/Scooters Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here