Return to the Motorcycles/Scooters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Riding a Scooter

Posted by mgeca (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 9, 13 at 19:37

After years of waiting, I am now retired and ready to ride a scooter. I have settled on a Kymco model, 200 cc. I want to just cruise around town, run errands, commute to a part-time job if I get one. Casual, easy going.

My question is, how much physical strength/effort has to go into riding a scooter. Not heavy like a bike, no shifting, weighs maybe 200 pounds or so. I am 6', 180 pounds, over 65, not as fit as I once was-too many years driving a desk.

Any comments, thoughts are real welcome. I don't want to endanger myself, others or a brand new scoot.

Thanks.
Mike

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Riding a Scooter

At your weight of 180 lbs, I venture a guess that you will soon find the 200 cc motor a little shy of power. It'll be fine for learning, but as soon as you become confortable at handling it, you will wish for a bit more engine, say 250 cc or more.

The 200 cc engine is fine for road speeds of no more than 30 mph, but it may top out at 40 mph in a strong head wind; add an up-slope and you may not be able to keep from being a traffic hazard.

I don't know your location, but if you are in the northern tier of states, the riding season is drawing to a close especially for a beginner. However, its at this time of year when bargains for used machines appear as summer riders go back to school (in northern states). In southern states, the opposite may be true.

o

Jemdandy--Thanks for your response. I am indeed in the northern tier, western PA. Coincident with your advice, today I am going to look at a scooter with a for sale sign, sitting in someone's front lawn.

I am a bit leery of a used scooter, same as some used cars. I lack the knowledge to see a hidden problem and to fix it. But, there are a lot of older guys (50s, 60s, plus--I am 70 now) scooting around town and maybe they take better care than a kid.

My decision, unless a great used deal comes up, has to be based on price. Around 3K is my limit I am told. After years of postponing (my first post on this forum was 2006!) I think Kymco and Honda are where I want to look. Cheap Chinese scooters sound great in ads, but by the posts here they are to be avoided.

There are a couple of Kymco models pricewise that range from 50cc to 125cc to 200cc. No 250cc anymore. Honda also doesn't offer 250cc.

For the 50cc's the ads say great for around town. Kymco's 150 is said to be 13.5 HP and an urban commuter. The 200cc is billed as a two-up machine. No, I don't believe all that I read.

Basically I want to ride around town (hilly PA of course), maybe later on 40MPH strip mall road. That route could be a "commute" if I could ever find a p/t job.

We have a big Harley and scooter dealer a ways down the road who has a good rep and I guess that will be my choice (only Kymco dealer around). Also, I'm counting on a used scooter inventory.

Any further thoughts based on all of this? I'm debating your thoughts at all because I have few of my own, so I appreciate your experienced opinion. Depending on what I find, this will be a spring purchase unless something good and reasonable shows up. Always $$. But I will start the search now and hope for something good. Or am I too old?

Thanks - Mike

o

I'd stick with well known scooter brands such as Honda. Many years ago, an Italian brand, Lambretta, made a decent scooter, but the poblem with these brands today is the lack of dealer service. These dealerships have a habit of disappearing too soon.

o

Include Sym and Lance in your research.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Motorcycles/Scooters Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here