SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pharkus

WHY?! - voltage regulator question.

pharkus
15 years ago

This is actually an ATV question, about a 1996 Bearcat 454 ATV - but this is a suitable place to ask, I believe, since I've discovered via my google searching that about a trillion motorcycles use the same voltage regulator.

I am an electronics nerd - NOT a motorhead. I don't know a darn thing about engines but I can usually fix or re-engineer just about anything with wires. Accordingly, I am extremely frustrated by the lack of useful information about motorcycle/ATV electronic parts. Everything is treated as a "magic box". Wiring diagrams and service manuals all seem to say, basically, "There's a 5-pin plug, which goes into the regulator. Don't ask what the 5 pins do, because you'll just screw something up anyway."

I want - and, in fact, demand - to know WTF these 5 wires do, especially since they're ALL THE SAME FREAKIN' COLOR.

The regulator bears the following markings:

RS41 33E0

20 6C26

Googling "RS41 regulator" gave me some interesting information but nothing technical.

What wire is what, and what, exactly, would a salvaged/replaced/re-engineered/frankensteined regulator need to do with them?

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County