Return to the Motorcycles/Scooters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Helmet and Hearing?

Posted by mgeca (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 20, 06 at 12:49

Hi. I don't know if anyone can answer this from experience, but maybe there are some thoughts to share. I wear two hearing aids and am nearly deaf without them. If something gets too close to them, like a hat brim or my hand within an inch or so, I get annoying feedback.

I guess there is a lot of wind noise inside a helmet? That might be OK if not real loud. But I am concerned that the helmet will cause feedback and make wearing intolerable. I can't imagine adding deaf to the other hazards out there, won't think of riding without a helmet.

Anyone else have this problem and found a solution? Any suggestions on helmets with visors that don't get too close to the ear?

Thanks for your "feedback."

Mike

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Helmet and Hearing?

I can not think of anything to help off the top of my head but have found that earplugs block the wind noise without making it harder to hear regular road sounds. It does sound like the helmet itself will cause at least some feedback, a helmet that is not covering your ears gives you the same protection as no helmet at all in most types of falls.

o

I have a couple of friends that are profoundly deaf and ride just fine. The key seems to be increased visual awareness and really good rear view mirrors.

I'm a big fan of earplugs myself to protect what hearing I have left. Perhaps the people who make your hearing aids could offer some suggestions?

Full face helmets will offer you much less wind noise as well as better protection.

o

One hearing aid dispenser advised new hearing aids that don't have feedback. Two hearing aids = 1 Reflex. Increased visual awareness, good mirrors and luck seem to be my options. But I'm still chasing the question down.

Thanks - Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Motorcycles/Scooters Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here