Return to the Motorcycles/Scooters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Backfiring

Posted by kentuck_8b (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 22, 10 at 12:11

I have a Honda Shadow 1100cc that the battery went bad/dead on me a while back.

It was three weeks before I got a new one put in, but having set up for that time, now the engine backfires when I let off the gas, such as slowing down to come to a stop. It runs great and doesn't miss out while accelerating or running at a constant speed, just backfires when decelerating.

Is there anything that I can put in the gas to correct this, or anything else that I can do besides bringing the bike in to a dealer?

Thanks.

Kt

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Backfiring

Umm....without knowing the cause, don't know why you would consider a gas additive. It's a machine. Things change. Things go wrong and come out of adjustment. For myself, I like a good-running machine. I'd do the dealer thing and make it right.

It isn't the battery situation. Something else has happened. Bet it's small and easy to diagnose for an experienced tech. Maybe even cheap. Wouldn't hurt to ask dealer about it and decide after receiving the answer.

Go a nice ride, there. Make it right would be my suggestion.

o

Thanks, Asolo. I just thought it was carburator gum-up or something similar, since it sat for a few weeks while the battery was down. It ran perfectly before that.

Kt

o

Usually, the cause for backfiring on closing the throttle is caused by the mixture going lean, not so lean it won't fire, but lean enough to retard burning and is still burning when the exhaust valve opens. In this case, it should also backfire on a downshift used to slow the bike.

You did not say what year of bike. My experience ends with carbureators. I did not own a bike with electronic engine management and that is a different can of worms.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Motorcycles/Scooters Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here