Return to the Motorcycles/Scooters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any of you bikers do the Trail of Tears Ride?

Posted by hilltopviews (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 24, 06 at 11:49

My husband has a 2002 Yamaha Midnight Venture and has ridden for years. His other baby is an 86 Yamaha touring bike, which we still ride.
He started riding The Trail of Tears Ride a number of years ago, the ride starts in Chattanooga, TN. and ends in Okmulgee, OK.
We have a friend that has a Honda GoldWing that rides all the way from Windsor. Ont, Canada to join in the ride. A couple that rides from Georgetown, TX up to HotSprings, AK to join the ride.
Several friends from TN and AL join the ride, and, believe it or not, my husband and his friends met and made friends with a couple from Hawaii that had purchased a HD bike stateside and was touring the mainland. The couple joined my husband and his friends on The Trail of Tears Ride that year, which was 2002, and had a great time.
It was my first time to ride the event this year. After leaving Oklumgee, OK., we rode to Canyon, TX., toured Palo Duro Canyon, which was a great experience. Along the way we looked for sections of Route 66 highway to ride, stopped in Elk City, OK and visited the Route 66 Museum.
All in all it was a wonderful trip.
We were in a lot of high winds on the way home, but we were in front of the tornado outbreak across OK,AR,AL and TN., we made it home safe.
We've also ridden the "Tail of the Dragon" at DealsGap, and will ride it again this fall, since we are only about an hour riding time away. Good day ride!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any of you bikers do the Trail of Tears Ride?

Hilltop,

I knew about a much shorter commemorative ride, but hadn't heard about a longer organized ride. However, a couple of years ago I did some reasearch and, after visiting a couple of related historic sites in northern Georgia, followed the northern route of the Trail of Tears from Red Clay State Park near Chattanooga to Tahlequah Oklahoma, stopping by many of the designated places along the way. I learned a lot and it was a very moving experience, as was a trip to Memphis I took earlier that year to visit the National Civil Rights Museum.

I would recommend eiher trip to anybody. It's a good thing to reflect from time to time on what we are capable of doing to each other.

Brian

o

Yes, over 4000 men, women and children died during the "trip" from their homes to various locations in Oklahoma.
I cannot imagine the treatment these gentle people endured during that time.
Some of the people were gathered in the square to welcome us and also had a meal consisting of sweet potatoes, green bean salad, beets, homiony and yellow cornbread waiting ready for us at the camp ground outside of town.
Very kind and generous people. There is a townhall which contains drawings and artifacts and handwritten records (behind glass) that were interesting. I would like to revisit the area when we have more time.

o

Did your "Trail of Tears" trip cross the southern tip of Illinois? I was surprised by this information. A sign at a rest stop in southern Illinois claimed to be on or near the trail of tears. It stated that the Chief of the tribe asked the Officers if they could pass that way. Southern Illinois was a hunting ground for the Cherokees and they felt within themselves that they would never pass that way again after removal. The officer in charge agreed. It added time to their trip. They encountered worsening weather, had trouble crossing the Mississippi. Onset of cold weather worsened their hardships.

o

Jemdandy,

Yes, it did. I crossed from Kentucky into Illinois on Rte 91 at Cave in Rock, taking a ferry over the Ohio River. Then took mostly 146 through Illinois to Cape Girardeau. From there, of course, it was over the Mississipi River and on to Missouri, starting with the Trail of Tears State Park.

o

Hilltopviews,

Who organizes/runs the group ride? Is there a website?

Did the ride visit the museums and grounds at Red Clay State Park (perhaps the most interesting of all the sites) and Tahlequah? How about other historical sites along the way?

There is a lot to see. The two museums I mentioned above stand out in my mind. There's another one not too far from the beginning of the trail in Cherokee, NC that's more glitzy and kid-friendly, but I found less informative than the other two. What I did enjoy in Cherokee was Ocanaluftee Indian Village, a bit more complete than the recreations in Red Clay and Tahlequah and with more live demonstrations.

I had hoped to sandwich another ride along this trail in between trips to Nova Scotia and Savannah, but just couldn't manage it this year. I think I'll try again next year. I might be interested in joining a group depending on its size and what it visits along the way.

o

Bill Cason and The Trail of Tears Remembrance Association Organanize the Ride.

See you on the ride I'll be riding down through Illinois this year hope someone wants to ride with me.

Wolfman (that big Fuzzy guy riding the Lava Red Ultra)

Here is a link that might be useful: Trail Of Tears Remembrance Association

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Motorcycles/Scooters Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here