Return to the Motorcycles/Scooters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need to find a scooter for $800 or less.

Posted by privilela (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 6, 07 at 4:53

Trying to find a reliable 50cc scooter for $800 or less. Of course I found all the Chinese brands offered online, but I am skeptical after reading some reviews here. Are there any exceptions maybe? Anyone who bought one that actually works?
I need it for a very short 3-5 mile daily commute, and I only weight 110lbs. Any suggestions???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need to find a scooter for $800 or less.

I think your best bet would be to keep your eyes open for a used Japanese scooter. This is the time of year they start popping up for sale. Be patient. You can read all the threads here and see if you want to take a chance on a Chinese model, but you must be able to work on the engine yourself. I would rather have a used Honda or Yamaha than a new Chinese scoot any day.

o

Check your local Craigslist. I see some on there. A new Honda is about 2K, but payments on that may be affordable for you, if you can't find used.

o

At $800, you'll most likely get a better bike and a better handling machine if you search for an older, small motorcycle. Front end geometry is critical to handling.

o

Look at classified ads and cruise the motorcycle shops. Scooters and motorcycles are at their low point in sales in winter in the northern tier of states. Right now, there may be some Christmas sales, so wait 'til Janurary and then go bargain hunting. Prices are the lowest. One caveat, however, many owners knowing this do not attempt to sell or spend money for ads, but wait for spring when sales pick up.

I have found that you can find a bargain in late August when riders are about to go away to school and the end of the riding season is approaching.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Motorcycles/Scooters Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here