Return to the Motorcycles/Scooters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are you OLD enough?

Posted by grittymitts (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 14, 06 at 0:43

Anyone here old enough to remember the Indian Papoose?

In the late '40's, I had one since I wasn't big enough to hold up the big bikes.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are you OLD enough?

Ummmm.... In a word... no.

My first bike was a 1962 Motobecane 50. It was made the same year I was.

o

Nope, I'm just a baby boomer, but I remember when "Then Came Bronson"'s Sportster used to morph into a Hodaka over jumps.

I remember when Popular Science questioned whether the CB750 Honda was too much motorcycle for most riders.

I remember when Petersen Publications bought Motorcyclist magazine and replaced the staff with the guys from Motorcycle Sport Quarterly.

I remember Bob Braverman and "The Golden Age of Onions."

I still have the first issue of Dirt Bike magazine.

I remember when Bengt Aberg dominated motocross on his Husqvara 400 Cross.

I remember kicking my older brother's '64 Honda 250 Scrambler until I was ready to puke and riding it around the section on a freezing October night.

o

I had a Bridgestone "Dual Twin 175" Sort of redundant, but that is what it was called. It had the amazingly stupid rotary shift transmission that one more click up from 5th netted you 1st again which was not a good thing at highway speeds. It was a twin cylinder 2-stroke with rotary valves, dual carbs, and oil injection. Anyways, it was a late 60's early 70's bike, but it was different if nothing else.

o

Unfortunately I am OLD enough. I had a 1949 Indian Papoose in 1951. This was a 98cc 2cycle scooter that was a rebadged english scooter, the Welbilt Corgi by Brockhouse Engineering.
The Corgi was a postwar civilian version of a scooter used by british paratroopers and parachuted inside a metal container. Brockhouse also built Enfield motorcycles and when Brockhouse became a major stockholder of Indian Motorcycles they introduced the Corgi to the US market as the Indian Papoose. I am including a link to a Papoose ad, I hope it works.

Here is a link that might be useful: Indian Papoose Ad

o

Old enough to remember racers Gary Nixon and Cal Rayborn in their prime. Drag racer Leo Payne from Cedar Rapids Iowa was using his garage-modified sporters to drop eveyone in sight -- including the customized Triumph and BSA doubles from the west coast. "You meet the nicest people on a Honda" buzz-line was getting 1/2 the teenagers in the country onto Honda 50's. Tommy James and the Shondells sang about it. About Triumphs, BSA's, and Harleys they used to say: "If it isn't leaking oil, shut it off -- there's none in it."

o

I found some pictures of a couple of Indian Papooses (Papoosi?)
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

These were single speed, later they offered 2 speed transmissions. A kick starter was an option, the bare bones model required you to push it at a run and pop the clutch. The English version Corgi offered a side car, not for a passenger but for the Mrs. when she rode to the market.

o

i have a scooter that was made in england it has the brockhouse name on it with a date of 1925..I am trying to find out info on it...i don't know if that is when it was mad. it also has Excelsior Spryr written on the side.

o

Thanks a lot for posting the photos, cushmanrider!

My kids and grand kids will get a kick out of trying to picture this ol' G'ma riding one.

Suzi

o

I'm old enough to remember these:

1. 1940 Henderson, 4 cy.

2. Whizzer motorbike

2. Topper

3. Harley-Davison 125 cc amd 250 cc Aeramachi (sp?)

4. Honda 90 cc

o

Guess I'm not a youngster here. My first bike was a 1947 Indian Chief bought secondhand in 1951. Then came a 1952 Indian TT Warrior 500 cc. One of the first vertical twins impoted. It was made by the British firm Royal Enfield. Then a 1964 BSA 500 cc Iron Single, B33. Started riding competition with a BSA Goldstar 500 and a Matchless
600cc single for hillclimbs. That bike had bottom end torque second to none. Last bike was a Yamaha 750cc Virago. A V twin and all around good bike. Now I have only memories of past times, all enjoyable. I met many friends Etc. on a bike. Yeah, we were a bit different from the 4 door Chevy/Ford/Plymouth milkshake guys but we had respect for each other and at times we knew the limits of our bikes and ourselves but not too often.

Photobucket

o

Wow, I still have the old motorcycle left behind by my grandfather that is collecting dust and mold in the garage.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Motorcycles/Scooters Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here