Return to the Motorcycles/Scooters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kawi ZX-14 Riding Review

Posted by mister_h (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 28, 06 at 0:49

I had it for about a week now and on my 2nd tank of fuel. First the bike does not feel as big as I thought it would be (which I worried most). It is a much more refined and civilized bike than its replacement 12-R. It is rock solid stable at highway speeds and the power band is very predictable with tons of torque starting right bottom from the idle. I can cruise at 45 mph 6th gear at 2000 rpm and there is no hint of bogging at all. Splitting lanes in on I-5 freeway in So Cal is no problem - it is that nimble. It is almost a perfect commuter for me (80 miles a day), except it gets only around 35~38 mpg so far and has 5.8 gal tank (I think). This is the first bike I've ever ridden with the fuel economy computer on the dashmeter.
If I find anything interesting more, I will up date later.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kawi ZX-14 Riding Review

Just saw that there is a recall for the new ZX-14s. You might want to check with your dealer to see if your's is affected.

It sounds like a hellofa bike, though!

o

Thanks for letting me know, but it was already taken care of by the dealer before I took the delivery of the bike. It was the loose bolts holding the vehicle down sensor under the seat. BTW, I'm still wondering what to do with the extra 7000 rpms (4000-11000 rpm redline) that I never may use. I am already doing 80 mph @4000 rpm on 6th gear. This thing is literally a rocketship... just a little spirited twist of the wrist and going over 100 mph - just in 3rd gear. The only thing it's missing is the hardcase storage on the sides like Concours have. That would make as a perfect sport-tourer for my kind of riding.

o

You might want to check out an FJR1300. Not quite the power of the Zed-14, but still 135 hp to the rear wheel. More power and speed than I ever need on the street, great handling, and can carry home an entire Thanksgiving dinner for eight, including the booze, with top and side bags. I call it the world's fastest cargo carrier.

Only bad part is it puts out too much heat for hot summer days, but I hear the new ones have that fixed.

If I had a ZX-14, I'd probably find a drag strip somewhere I could have fun on. I'd never be able to tap the full potential of that bike on the street, but I'd love to take a few quarter-mile runs on one.

o

OK--just picked ours up to day! What a ride. Now I just need to learn how to control my insane desire for speed!

o

The ZX-14's power is insanely abundant... Now Kawi is coming out with ZX-14 based new "Connie" - a SportTourer to compete FJ13 and beemers. Hope, it's got a big gas tank as old Connie did.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Motorcycles/Scooters Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here