Return to the Motorcycles/Scooters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Old time scramblers

Posted by greentfinger (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 3, 09 at 19:51

Is anyone out here that used to ride in the northeast scrambles back in the fifties-sixties. I know we're a disappearing breed but some body must still be alive besides me. Let's hear from you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Old time scramblers

I didn't race back then, but my Dad did. Mostly on Long Island. He was a member of the Long Island Sport Riders. I remember Whitey Loud, Jim Fennell, Al Halman, Rod Pink, Babe Ames and his Ocelot, Randy Bynoe, Geez who else? John McNeil, Bruce Brennan,

o

I may have raced against your dad. I rode a BSA Goldstar or sometimes a BSA 250 or 600 matchless single at the time. I know I went against Jim Fennel (500 cc) and my buddy, Ace Taylor, beat Whitey Loud on his Triumph one time. Ace rode a BSA 650 Road Rocket after starting out on a 150 NSU. He later rode a Harley Sportser in Sportsman Hillclimbs.

I was Sec. of the NYCON Riders up in Wassaic/Amenia/Dover Plains NY. There were three of us that started riding compettion. The group grew to 5 with John Sanford of Conn. and Larry Wise of New Jersey.

We went to most eastern New York tracks as well as some in New England. One time in eastern Vermont the east versus west race was held. Al Gore out rode California's best. Over 40 starters in the expert final.Many never finished, Ace made it to 12th and I came in around 19th. THEM DAZE IS GONE THE WAY OF THE FLATHEAD FORD.

Thanks for leting me know that somebody remembers , "The good 'ol days."

o

Hi, I came across this post while hunting for online mentions of my dad, Jim Fennell. (Kind of strange to find on a gardening site, but I'll go with it...) Don't see any real names on the postings above, so I'm not sure if I'd recognize anyone, but I definitely recognize Whitey Loud, one of dad's best friends.

I grew up spending Sundays at the track. Great memories of Andrea's Farm in Fishkill, riding the back of the tractor with dad as we dragged the water tank to keep the dust down and groomed the track prior to a race. Crotona always put on a good race at Fishkill, and had a lot of fun doing it! Loved going to the other tracks too, but Andrea's Farm was "home."

You probably remember the Pinks - Don & Leslie, Rod, and Doug. Charlie Watson and his wife Joan... Gregg Doerr... Awesome pictures by Abe Schoenfeld... Great memories, although they're a little "hazy" at this point.

I'm just starting to gather and post some of the old photos. Here's a link to the very beginning. Please feel free to share photos & memories!!

~ Jim Fennell

Here is a link that might be useful: Jim Fennell's Racing Memories

o

Thanks for the Jim Fennell pictures. Does the #123 in the "lost cigar" picture belong to CT rider Terry Barber?
I rode Fishkill many times in the early 60s and remember all those guys well.

o

I have other pictures from Abe Schoenfeld and club pictures. Please send me back a message to my email and I would love to share them. I even have pictures of Don/Vi Whyte and the Watson's are the midnight run in 2004 after it was handed over to Ramapo to run going forward. Jim you are a younger than me and I remember you. I still have the Truimph Trophy Trail that Dad bought from Greg Doerr.
Don Whyte's Daughter

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Motorcycles/Scooters Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here