Return to the Motorcycles/Scooters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I wish Honda would bring back the MB5

Posted by gumby25 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 6, 08 at 19:29

This was a awesome little motorbike for its day in 1982. In 3 yrs of ownership and 20,000 plus miles just gas and oil. Never a mechanical breakdown. Payed 600.00 new. I wish Honda would consider bringing it back to market. It was a blast to drive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMoLSC4zm0g&feature=related

Here is a link that might be useful: Honda MB5

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I wish Honda would bring back the MB5

The Honda MB5 had a 50cc two stroke motor. That engine is ok for puttering around on the back 40 acres, but is much too small for over the road use especailly for adult weight (just my opinion). I had a 90cc 4-stroke Honda and it strained to make more than 40 mph in a strong headwind. The max. speed I ever saw on that machine was 57 mph and that was with a tailwind on a flat surface. The engine was revved out to its max. It was too small to use as commuter on streets having 35 to 40 mph speed limits. It was ok to learn with in off the road enviorments. Soon after I became profficient enough to ride on the streets, I moved up to the twin cylinder 175 cc Honda and one year later up to the twin cylinder 350 cc.

I think these are the reasons its sales was curtailed in the States - not enough performance.

o

You could be right about that. I lived in the country at the time I owned my MB5. There was little traffic on the road, so speed was never issue. I also putted around all the graded roads that were near my home. I think the MB5 was ahead of its time for Honda being part moped and motorcylce. A 70cc kit is available for more speed and power. I would have one today if I could get my hands on one.

o

We'll probably see more stuff like the MB5 now that gas is so expensive. For someone who just wants to ride around town, it could be a good option. Only thing is, unlike many of the 50 cc scooters, it's legally a motorcycle, so you have to go through the steps to get a license to ride it, which probably repels a lot of the more casual riders who would buy it.

For fun, you might want to check out the British motorcycle annual "What Bike." It's often on newsstands here for about $10. They have tons of bikes there like the MB5. Many are made in China and are just knockoffs of popular Japanese models. I'm betting we'll see some of those here.

o

I just bought an mb5 off of ebay. Paid $400 for it need $100 in parts to get running after sitting over 10yrs. It a very fun little bike that i use as a daily rider. Perfect if you live close to work. Im going to try and find a second to restore as a little racer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Motorcycles/Scooters Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here