Return to the Motorcycles/Scooters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
1977 BMW R100/7 - 100K miles

Posted by behaviorkelton (My Page) on
Wed, May 23, 07 at 7:50

On my local craigslist, there is a '77 BMW for sale. It looks interesting, but I don't know much about BMW motorcycles.... aw shucks, don't know much about motorcycles in general.

Nevertheless, are there any particular sorts of hassles associated with BMWs that you wouldn't suffer if, say, I bought an older japanese bike?

If it weren't for the high miles, the bike would be high on my "hey cool!" factor.

Kelt

Follow-Up Postings:

o
Here's the link to the bike

http://knoxville.craigslist.org/mcy/333668313.html

o
RE: 1977 BMW R100/7 - 100K miles

Older Beemers have their share of problems. But the two biggest problems you will have is finding parts and finding someone to work on one. If you can do your own wrenching, life will be easier, but there are many special tools required for things like clutch work, pushrod tube seals and like that. Frequently, you can find recommdations for functional alternative from the BMW boards on the internet. Also there are a couple of sources for vintage parts -- both salvage and NOS. Bob's BMW is the most well-known.

The bike in the ad looks like an interesting machine. I have an R75/7 that is set up similarly... Lufmeister fairing and aux tanks, Meyer Day-Long saddle, Krauser bags, Reynolds rack and ride-off stand... These bikes will go forever if you take care of them. My first BMW -- a 1972 R60 had 165,000 miles when I sold it and it was still going strong.

Also the price he's asking is stellar, or it least it would be for that bike in this part of the country.

BMWs have a lot of character, handle great -- even the old ones, and if you take care of a bike like this one, it will hold its value... maybe even go up.

Yeah... definitely "hey, cool!"

o

Thanks,

I e-mailed the guy a couple days ago, but no response.

We'll see. Frankly, I'd prefer a similar bike but with smaller displacement. I haven't ridden a motorcycle since the 80's, and don't necessarily go for a adrenalin rush style of riding.

Thanks again

o

All BMW R-bikes are very docile (except the few Rennsports, or other hopped-up bikes). The R100 has plenty of torque, it's smooth and powerful on the freeway, but don't expect arm-stretching acceleration. It's not a Ninja. And the power is very managable. An R100 can out-accelerate 99 percent of all the cars on the road, but a 600cc crotchrocket will leave it in the dust.

o

Thanks!
Well...it looks like the seller has either sold the bike or isn't responding to his e-mails.

It would be nice to find a coolish bike in the local area.

There is now a 2001 SV650 up for $3100 with 4,000 miles. This bike, I suspect, is a bit more frisky than the BMW...which I don't need... but if it's reliable, it could be a good thing. (I don't know if the SV bikes are any more or less reliable than the next bike)

o

My sister bought an SV 650 for her first bike. She had no problems learning to ride it. The SV has good power but it is not a bike that will spit you off for one mistake with the brakes or throttle. Sv's are quite reliable and have sold in huge numbers so parts are easy to find in case you break something.

Normal service work on an SV is also cheaper than many bikes because there is little body work to remove to adjust the valves.

Lance

o

Hey there, I am looking for assistance, I am compiling a website dedicated to tractor videos, to date I have gathered 348 different farming tractor brands and I hope to document every agricultural tractor make and model ever made. In particular I am looking for videos and picturess of rare oldtimer tractors, such as Chamberlain, Allis-Chalmers or Rumley Steamer. You can email me at admin (at) youtractor.com. Any content you provide will remain your property and you will be credited with it.

I look forward to hearing from you

Patrick Malloney
http://www.YouTractor.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Vintage Tractors

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Motorcycles/Scooters Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here