SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mister_h

Chinese Scooters

mister_h
16 years ago

Has anyone owned one?

I am looking for a 150cc to 250cc range scooter and was wondering about the quality/reliability of the Chinese made scooters. As you know, Chinese made goods are not so good... but in some cases they do make good quality products when Chinese manufactureres have some association with American/Japanese companies. But not likely on Chinese made scooters.

If you have any input, please post!

Thanks.

Comments (60)

• jspencer177
    15 years ago

Biddlebeach, join the Scootdawg forum (http://scootdawg.proboards59.com/) and post a question there. The folks on that site know almost everything there is it know about Chinese scooters. I own 2 and fix them myself. My experience is that they are simple to maintain but many dealers know little or nothing about repairing them. Fortunately there is lots of knowledgable help available at Scootdawg, including inexpensive sources for parts.

The symptoms you are describing with your husband's scooter sound a lot like an intake manifold leak. The intake manifold on GY6 engines tend to crack easily but it's also easy to replace. He can check if that's the problem by spraying some starter fluid on the intake manifold. If the engine speed increases, he has a cracked manifold.

• jspencer177
    15 years ago

Ukrkoz, that's an interesting article comparing Chinese and American scooters but it has one big shortcoming: There's no such thing as an American scooter! Vespa and Piaggio are Italian, SYM and QLink are Taiwanese, Honda, Yamaha, and Suzuki are Japanese. I think TNG was once Indian but is now Chinese. Everything else is Chinese. I don't think Harley makes a scooter, and if they ever do I'll bet they'll import most if not all of it from China.

• Related Discussions

UPDATE: Secret Santa Seed Swap (100 and still going)

Q

Comments (131)
    Here is a list of screen names of all whom have contacted me...PLEASE CHECK AND MAKE SURE I HAVE YOU LISTED. Flwrs4ever sueirish poisondartfrog flwrs1 ishareflowers highalttransplant kamiljablo spookycharles wishdesign danette1980 stpehiinalta cottageflowers lhmkc grannieb vikingkirken candycow aproditelaughs riley17 daffodilady booberry85 nikkineel daisy_lee medontdo msmacgyver playintheyard greenthumbgrows peaches20 wenders67 carolynp micyrey carolinam quiltingfox mommyto2 ncgardengirl dirt_under_my_nails anadarko_rose dimples31312 nuthatch_mo ggwrn luvgardening2 dirtdiggin lisa627_ohio_z6 kimsgarden hmle2217 ptp813 nogmo jaleeeisa botanicalboi plant-one-on-me chellflower divahethr markcase1964 crisann margarita10 kiddo proudgm_03 debdov colcol wipe_yo_feet pumkingal scooter_wv puffie sheriannricherson velsgarden chitownladyd wind_red wishdesign danette1980 stephiinalta cottageflowers nlb52 threas zena2008 vic_zn5 michiganmama pife sunset_in rbrady spacetomato suze62 stevenwayne kerai mao_tse_mom isamae carol57078 seiko mpmom ilovefarac dirtduchess misskimmie dirtygert paulan70 vikingkirken dawnbrn intelkid appaloosa909 lindalana andreaz6wv kellycomposter plantman50 sybilkrizinski keeversgirl gimpytwice soonergrandmom retsec angelady christieb199 agirlsgirl greenbug fcofill james-in-lapine seedmama pseudacris_crucifer justonemorehosta louisianagirl patrushka daisy_lee dan_the_mail_man goldfishliberator princess_ariel thinking_stomach taz56 votetrapper shropshire_lad elf7 w9yards november_sky lois ohsillyme godsgardener morguegirl dancinginthegarden girlgarden2007 gmom2_6 boys pufftrinket crafting4goddess tergov erin_2009 piksi_hk hummy1 auntnawnee ak110682 chemocurl jworth gammy2 maemae0312 bonechickchris jas_il deeS perennialfan273 diggingdevil GROVESPIRIT PLEASE DO NOT POST ON THIS THREAD ANYMORE, GO TO THREAD 3...AND POST WHEN YOU MAIL, OR RECEIVE, AND KEEP CHECKING IN, WE WILL BE PLAYING SOME GAMES !!!!!!! HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO YOU ALL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ...See More

Chinese Fringe??

Q

Comments (4)
    I still have the tag from the Chinese Fringe tree I planted about 10 years ago, but I don't remember where I bought it. It was maybe a foot tall when I planted it, and now it's 10 ft tall, trimmed up like a tree. The tag says it's Plum Delight Chinese Fringe Flower (loropetalum chinese 'Hines Purpleleaf Plum Delight') from Hines Nurseries. It's a great plant - purple and green leaves that turn red in the fall, hot pink flowers bloom early spring and off & on all summer into fall. Cardinals nested in it last year. Carol
    ...See More

Every hike a surprise!

Q

Comments (108)
    Annie, when you start using your walking stick try to switch arms to an equal amount of arm strokes on each side. I used a tall walking stick in my old neighborhood that had miles of trails. You will be surprised at how you can do some serious upper body toning with a light weight stick over time. If you donâÂÂt switch back and forth your upper muscles will become imbalanced and you will become noticeably more toned on one side. Also, try to gripe the stick in a way that disassociates your trapezoids for a nicer look. Unless you have a very long neck over developed trapes donâÂÂt look great on a women in my opinion. It gives more of a head sitting on shoulders look. If you practice with where you are griping you can tone your arms but also tone your back in a way that will give an illusion of a smaller waist. You can also go between using short strokes and very long strokes and use different muscle fibers. . And, of course you already know that you will burn many more calories this way. This post was edited by jterrilynn on Tue, Dec 23, 14 at 12:20
    ...See More

Anyone drive a Vespa or similar?

Q

Comments (13)
    My 24 year old son has one. Here, you have to have a drivers license because you are on the road but, depending on the size, you don't need a motor cycle license. My son likes it because it is so cheap on gas (and kinda cool and fun to drive). It rains here a lot so he has a gortex rain suit, and is well lit up if it's dark and rated helmets are mandatory. They are treated like a small motorcycle. The only restriction is that they are not highway speed rated. One of our nearby bridges into downtown is part of the highway system and so vespas can go across but they are restricted to a specific on-ramp and exit at each end.
    ...See More
  • gloriam
    15 years ago

Just make sure that the place you buy your scooter from can
    fix it. Alote of places will not fix them.

• biddlebeach
    15 years ago

Thanks for the info guys,, I am not getting alerts to new posts here so I have not been back here ,, no one was posting for a while there, so I quit looking for new posts,, I see I was wrong!
    last problem with My husbands scooter was it vibrates so much he had trouble with his muffler! if vibrated so much, it almost off! his trunk DID lose it's bolts and almost fell off! Good thing he stopped at home when he did!
    will send him this link!
    life is still good among scooter drivers!

• tattoo7lady
    15 years ago

Don't know if Harley ever makes a scooter or not - I have a Heritage Softail Classic, (upgraded from Sportster) It's a very nice ride & great on gas. But I do know Harley is comin' out with a 3-wheeler very soon! wheee!

Y'all did great with coming back at that guy. I had a similiar problem over in the Farm Life forums with *some* people being smart-assed, and just plain mean & know-it-all kinda attitude. This is not the purpose or place for that, and so I think y'all handled it great! (if all else fails, you can always complain to the moderator of the boards....under 'contact us' - they mean it with what they say on 'terms of use'!)

We can be nice, post opinions, give advice - all without being personal or crude!

Cat

• eyeslooking
    15 years ago

To 'Mister' April 7, 2007. Are Chinese scooters reliable?

Purchased a Chinese made Tank Touring 250DE-08, with a Yamaha-Linhai motor in September '08. Nice looking scooter!

I had extreme difficulty starting this scooter (it does vibrate). The dealer left enough fuel for a 1-2 start-up and adding more fuel proved useless. The battery is fine...could be the ignition...could be a short circuit.

As a new cyclist, I would not recommend a Chinese scooter unless you are mechanically inclined! GY6 parts are still unfamiliar to the majority of U.S. mechanics and they will not touch it.

I did have my eyes on the Yamaha; yet, I fell for the cheaper scooter with a 3 year warranty. Spring 2009, the Yamaha dealer will be seeing me!

• kz1000st
    15 years ago

To eyeslooking. Your Tank may have a bad fuel pump or even sillier, is the kill switch in the proper position? Do you have spark? The vibration is not that unusual for a Tank 250. Read a review that said they do that. You may have to prime the carb again if the system got low. To check spray starter fluid in the carb and see if it runs. If not, you have an electric issue. If it does fuel isn't running. Good luck.

• eyeslooking
    15 years ago

Thanks KZ!

The kill switch is in the right position.

The first problem: Is trying to get the ignition switch in the 'On' position. Two experienced motorcyclist tried (to no avail) and determined something is definitely wrong with this scooter and to contact the dealer.

The second problem: It's trying to turn and I did hear a clunk (rechecked battery-it's still fully charged). I probably do need to prime the carb; but, I'm not mechanically inclined and I'm too curious for my own good (the scooter is still intact. LOL)

Third problem: The dealer is a new start-up shop specializing in Tank scooters only. Long story short...lack of business no-how all around!

• kz1000st
    15 years ago

I'd contact Tank if I were you. www.tank-sports.com I understand they stand behind their stuff and probably would help you out. If the dealer is authorized to sell their vehicles they wouldn't be too happy at the way he's taking care of you. They want to create a good reputation not continue the cheap Chinese Scooter image.

• kz1000st
    15 years ago

A second thought. Take a socket wrench and put it on the fan and see if the motor spins freely. I've heard horror stories about scooters with valve timing that's off. These things have interference valve timing. The clunk you're hearing could be the piston hitting a valve. If the motor won't spin fully take the scooter back and demand a new one.

• kz1000st
    15 years ago

Don't mind me. I'm thinking of the air cooled models. you don't have a fan. Maybe if the dealer can pull off the variator cover and try to spin the motor that way.

• eyeslooking
    15 years ago

We both must have been on the same page. I sent a letter to the Tank manufacturer 3 weeks ago (in receipt 12/08/08) for replacement or refund from there NJ dealer.

The dealer emailed the following day attempting to make arrangements for repair. LOL! Maybe my calculation is off...the 11th of November + 2 weeks (within)= 0? Or, the 9th of December + 2 weeks= 0?

I think the Tank Touring 250DE is a good scooter with the right dealer/mechanic.

• kz1000st
    15 years ago

I'd love to know how this turns out. I've had good luck with my CCS even though I bought it online. You bought yours from a dealer and you can't use it. That's so not right. The whole idea of a dealer is to deal with problems and satisfy the customer. If anything I should be suffering and you should be riding. Stick with it, they owe you a seviceable ride.

• cyclopse
    15 years ago

As a Vespa owner I am putting my two cents in. I have a friend that bought one of the 50 cc Chinese scooters, and though they look nice, he said he has had trouble with getting parts. Vespa and Piaggio are top of the line and you will pay for the quality, but you have some reassurance that they are reliable and will be serviced. If I were buying on price, I would go for a Kymco or Buddy. They are a good bet for the money. Remember, you get what you pay for, cheep is cheep.

• kz1000st
    15 years ago

I've also read the Modern Vespa forum and they note that Vespa is not always so responsive to getting parts to their owners. Chinese scooter owners can always go to partsforscooters.com-monsterscooterparts.com-scooterworks.com-scooterbelt.com for parts or visit the forum at Scootdawg.com to get literally tons of advice on how to keep their scooters running. I've seen videos from youtube on how to service a variator on Scootdawg's forum. You're right, Kymco and Buddy are great scooters. But if you take the time to read the forum at Scootdawg you'll see there are people who are doing amazing things with their CCS and doing it on a shoe string. Numerous owners have over 10,000 miles on their 250cc scoots and have done nothing more than routine service. At the same (or less) price of a Kymco Super 8 150cc which is manufactured in China. I don't mean to offend you, but it's also half the price of a Vespa 150.

• eyeslooking
    15 years ago

Happy New Year!

I sent a 2nd letter to the dealer on December 15, 2008. Communication with this NJ dealer is now mute! As a forewarning to anyone taking into consideration of purchasing a Tank scooter - don't!

Oftentimes, companies breaking into the market, do sell there merchandise inexpensively. It doesn't necessarily mean the quality is less inferior. In the case of the Tank scooter, it has been modified (the engine) to be more competitive. I'm just one person, who now disagrees. Also, there is a possibility it make have been assembled wrong by the dealer (or whomever).

The dealer and possibly the manufacturer has violated the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act.

• kz1000st
    15 years ago

I'm sorry to hear about your pain. I heard Tank was having financial trouble and I guess you're on the receiving end of their loss. If you go to partsforscooters.com they have people who sell their parts and service scooters also. You could get yours fixed by a good shop on their list if Tank is unwilling to replace yours. I just can't believe your bad luck with a formerly promising brand.

• eyeslooking
    15 years ago

Parts for scooters does have the dealer as a repair shop...LOL!
    Yesterday, I received an email attachment from the dealers legal representative...amazingly, this must be an intimidation. Somehow refund reverted back to the NJ Lemon Law, where the dealer is to repair the scooter.
    I may not be able to ride the scooter, I obviously do not know the law; but, I do know how to wrack somebodies nerves to no end! LOL...it's payback!

• kz1000st
    15 years ago

I tried to look up other Tank dealers on their website but they don't have a dealer locator. I sent them an e-mail about it, but they don't seem to have the ability to respond. I even applied for their newsletter but haven't seen a single one yet. I wonder if anyone is even home at Tank Sports. I would still hound Tank about taking the scooter somewhere else if I were you. You also might try the forum at Scootdawg.com. Go to the 250cc scooter side and tell your story and see if anyone might have a cure for you. There's a wealth of knowledge there and they explain it so anyone can understand it.

• kz1000st
    15 years ago

Belle Mead, Stanhope and Hopatcong. According to the dealer locator they have dealers there. See if you can make a deal and have the scooter fixed there under the lemon law or the Warranty Act. They can't leave you stuck with a "Garage Ornament".

• eyeslooking
    15 years ago

Thanks for looking out kz!

Hopatcong is the dealer's residence & Stanhope is the 'New' dealer's business that I purchased the scooter from. If, I had prior scooter knowledge, I would have ran from the beginning!LOL!!!

Now you know where I purchased the scooter from. Even the repair service is questionable...upon availability per say.

I noticed the Tank manufacturer did remove the dealer locator from there website & noticed there stock is worth zip. (see Yahoo Finances & MSN).

• kz1000st
    15 years ago

Then I would either go with plan B or C. Look up other places on Partsforscooters.com or ask at the forum on Scootdawg.com. I know you said you're not mechanically inclined but maybe a friend could help you out. It could be something as simple as a bad starter solenoid from the sound of it. Also if the engine is 244cc it's a Honda clone and a Honda dealer could help, 257cc and a Yamaha dealer would be your source. I'm not sure which is in the Tank.

• eyeslooking
    15 years ago

The Tank allegedly has a Yamaha Linhai 257cc (Yamaha clone) engine. Two dealers will not touch this scooter. I am relatively fair with tools; but, I'm apprehensive dealing with vehicular mechanics that can become hazardous-per say. Yes, I did look into ScootDawg (thanks) and other sites and it could be possible to repair with assistance.

But, I will not let the dealer & there legal representation get off easily! .

• kz1000st
    15 years ago

I started a thread about you on Scootdawg under Dealers-The Good and the Bad, Tank falls Flat. Here's what one of the more knowledgeable members said about the goings on at Tank.

Tank had a management shake up in november and their customer service was flushed down the toilet at the same time....dealers receive support only if they beg and are willing to wait 4-6 weeks for warranty parts....oh, and do not expect the warranty parts to be new as they are sending used parts to remedy the problem. ..tank demands the old part to be sent in prior for evaluation before they send back an old greasy replacement part...the 2 way shipping costs are passed on to the owner(sux) ...it is doubtful this company survives the recession.

As you can see you've received the pointy end of the stick.

• kz1000st
    15 years ago

I'd still see if there's some way to try and spin the crank manually just to see if the engine is spinning freely. If it's locked up then neither Tank or the dealer has a case, the engine is shot. Otherwise it's a starter issue and could be the solenoid or starter or some circuit.

• kz1000st
    15 years ago

I don't know if you saw this at Scootdawg but you might try this dealer. He's 70 road miles from your dealer.
    http://www.islandscooters.us/
    He was recommended awhile back on another thread. Maybe he might help you.
    KZ

• eyeslooking
    15 years ago

Yes, I did. Thanks KZ!

On the Tank 'Dealer Locator', I did see Hopatcong, Stanhope & Bell Mead; but not, Island Scooter in Long Branch. This is probably a new business (1hr distance).

The Stanhope dealer opened for business in late May or early June 2008 and the dealer is in the midst of changing the business name. This is a wait & see if there is some form of affiliation.

• kz1000st
    15 years ago

I thought that by having the name of the dealer in Long Branch you might have some options. Usually when they get a mention in Scootdawg they must be pretty good. I figured you could call, explain your situation and see if he would help you out. If nothing else, a running scooter is worth more if you do buy a Kymco, SYM, Yamaha.... and want to trade in yours. If you do decide to keep it, then it's worth knowing who a dependable dealer is.

• kz1000st
    15 years ago

If you go back to Scootdawg one member wrote a suggestion about contacting the DMV, it might be helpful. Another wrote about using another dealer, check it out.
    KZ

• eyeslooking
    15 years ago

Thanks KZ!

I am taking into consideration what you and others are saying. I probably will check out Island Scooters and I may file a complaint with the FTC, instead of the state.

• kz1000st
    15 years ago

I'm glad I could help. I would tell the dealer you got it from that his name has been refered to on Scootdawg. At least the Town he's in. He should know that people have got his number.

• kz1000st
    15 years ago

Just so you know, I think you should go with Island Scooters. For one, you have a warranty and it should be honored and two, if you mess up the scoot you could void it. I think it's rediculous the way you've been treated and I think a reputable dealer would think so too. As you've seen in Scootdawg, everyone who deals in bikes and scooters is unhappy with how you've been treated.

• eyeslooking
    15 years ago

Thanks ABscooters and again to KZ!

Yes, this dealer seriously dropped a bombshell more ways than one. I do agree, the prep work probably was done by someone who is unauthorized and don't care.
    KZ recommended Island Scooters, which is 1 hour away and requires a rental truck (only way to get the scooter there). I reiterate, I'm not mechanically inclined, the scooter is not running at all & I may give it go when the weather is warmer.

• donicaben
    15 years ago

I was looking into this myself. The generic Chinese ones look like they'd crack open if you so much as whispered at it - but at the same time I don't want to spend a bunch on something that I could only use a few months of the year - and I don't even know that I'd like.

I found this: http://www.counrtymotorsports.com/inc/sdetail/446 Reasonable price, most of the parts are made in Japan and Taiwan, and the company boasts that it keeps spare parts for their models readily availble. Plus they have 24 hour tech support.

I can't personally vouch for them - but it looks like a good deal.

Here is a link that might be useful: BMS Pathfinder

• eyeslooking
    15 years ago

Thanks donicabean!

Yes, the Chinese scooters are priced reasonably, especially for a newbie. If, I drop it or crash it...no big deal, still learning.

The 'Tank' Touring is my first. Will it be my last Chinese scooter? It depends if I (w/assistance) can get it running. The Taiwanese scooter, Kymco 250Xciting (tax & misc exp-approx $5800) received positive reviews and the dealership is closer and has been in business for years. Also, they sell Yamaha, Vespa, KTM, etc.

• kz1000st
    15 years ago

I was just curious if you called Island Scooters yet? Now that the warmer weather is here and it's renewal time with DMV it would be the perfect time to investigate your problem. Inquiring minds want to know and I'l tell everyone at Scootdawg how this one works out. You can PM me at Scootdawg when you know something.
    KZ

• eyeslooking
    14 years ago

I did call Island Scooters and I would have to rent a truck to transport the scooter. But, I did find a local lawnmower shop that does repair scooters.

Mid-August, I did request a refund from the dealer. This is when she acknowledged the business as being new, etc. I decided to figure out way to get the scooter out (eventually I rented a truck). She may have closed her shop in September instead of January. lol!

• laspalmas
    14 years ago

I have had personal experience with both a Chinese and a Taiwanese scooter. I purchased a new 2008 Chironex Chase 50S and within a month, there was a loose engine bearing causing lots of noise. It also would stall if you stopped quickly. I also purchased a used 2006 PGO T-Rex 150 a few months after and have had very good (perfect) reliability from it.
    Also, I knew nothing about scooters or motorcycles and simply put both bikes in my shed over the cold canadian winter without prepping them for the long sleep. Came spring, the PGO started on the first press of the button but the Chironex needed $150 of labour from a local dealer for it to work.
    Could be just luck but I tend to think the Taiwanese have a higher quality product.
    Sold the Chironex and kept the PGO. Good decision, I think.

• biddlebeach
    14 years ago

Hi guys!
    Just wanted you all to know that my scoot started right up first try this season!
    2006 Wildfire 150 touring
    first time driving it was in April, in northwestern PA,
    then not again till yesterday, was a tad bit cold in the AM but fab driving home in the 80 plus temps!
    eyeslooking, I hope you get your scoot fixed up or replaced. that would really be making me mad to have purchased it and not be able to drive it! or even START it..

I do have a question for you all though,, as I said about my husbands trunk vibrating, mine does also, and I have no problem with that, but it is noisy, I thought at one point, I had read somewhere that someone did something to theirs and stopped the noise,or at least quieted it a bit, any ideas? I was thinking they ran a bead of caulking along the opening, not sure though.

• alliealexander
    14 years ago

Hey, just dropping by. There are many opinions on chinese scooters, junk, reasonably priced, ok, not reliable, acceptable,hard to find parts etc. Ive read over and saw many who say most of the problems are that they need fixing in a short period of time, and that they cannot be fixed because of parts not being availible etc, (and yes, believe me, the phillips bolts holding to the crankcase rusted are a bit agitating), but I believe there is a way to fix them, you just have to find the right person who can, and can find the parts. Not only that in mind, but also the fact that many gy6 engines have basic universal parts, maybe not the exact style to the scooter, but quite close, and have the same basic layout. Ive been working on vintage scooters for the longest time such as Vespa, Zundapp, Lambretta etc, and even the modern quality bikes such as Aprilia, Peugeot, and Bajaj. But Ive started working on some of the generic brands as well, it seemed many were filling the motorcycle repair shops and collecting dust, and literally too, one I worked at had a few, the owner of the store said the owners of the scooters just ditched them keys titles and all. I offered him a price for them, but he just handed them over to me for storage space. I started doing work on them, one was a Verucci 50cc, many parts I got for it (carb kit for a Vento, a basic tire, and rear brake pads) all came from ebay in which I typed 50cc scooter part, looked at the item and how it would fit, and if it worked Id buy it. Everything worked, (except the original brake springs which I bought new and it fit then), and none of the parts said the company scooter I bought the part for. Theres always a way when it comes to repairing chinese scooters, of course no one can ever go wrong with a SYM, Vespa, Honda or any other major brand since parts are made specifically for them, more shops are open to them, and last longer without servicing.

Just my 2 cents.
    Alex

• twingats_att_net
    13 years ago

I can not believe anyone in their right mind would HONESTLY go to bat for chinese made scooters. There is NOTHING positive about them. I have owned two Roketa's and have had nothing but trouble with them from the very beginning. My sister had three, each one dying and falling apart within months of purchase and the others were replacements. Never again. The first problem with chinese scooters is maintenance. Anyone who says that you can simply do your own maintenance and be fine, is leaving out one VERY IMPORTANT DETAIL, PARTS, not to mention QUALITY OF PARTS, when they can be found! They can not be found anywhere,and when they can, they are poorly made, unless you get lucky and find them on the net. No reputable dealer wants to work on them for many reasons, only one of which is the parts issue. Mainly it is the quality issue. They are disposable garbage bikes. Everything the chinese makes, with the exception of clothes, is garbage. Like one poster already said" You get what you pay for" and believe me, that statement could never be any truer when it comes to these disposable garbage bikes. To even think of comparing a chinese made scooter to the likes of Kymco, SYM, Homnda, Yamaha, etc, is absolutely absurd. These companies have a proven track record and a rep for quality that the chinese will never be able to match, not in a hundred years. Stay away from the chinese scooters or you will be nothing but pissed off and out of a chunk of money.

• matmegali_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

I own 2 Shanghai Meitian scooters one has 1500 miles on it and the other has 500 miles on it both were purchased online and arrived on time and in good condition from the distributer out of Dallas Tx. The older of the two has had no major problems and I do my own maintenance on both change oil
    Etc. first major coming up is cvt belt replacement and I have researched this on the web and purchased my replacement belt online.I find both units reliable and easy to maintain

• polizzifrederick_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

How important is fuse size. Im getting spark and gas past the fuel filter, after riding some 40 yrs I think some sunshine and maybe a carb chesck, like the floAT area , I have a pro garage But Im sure its fuel related again theres spark.

• sager66
    12 years ago

"To even think of comparing a chinese made scooter to the likes of Kymco, SYM, Homnda, Yamaha, etc, is absolutely absurd. These companies have a proven track record and a rep for quality that the chinese will never be able to match, not in a hundred years."

SOME Honda and SYM models are manufactured in China.
    Wuyang-Honda
    Sundiro-Honda
    Xiamen Xiashing Motor-SYM

• sager66
    12 years ago

"Im getting spark and gas past the fuel filter"

Troubleshooting Guidelines

• blangkamp_comcast_net
    12 years ago

I just recently purchased a used Benzhou scooter. It needs very minor repair work (it was a 2008 and had 58 miles on it) but I would like someone to look at it, just to get him running at full performance. (it sat in the owners garage much of the time) I am not neccessarily mechanically inclined and have called around to 5 different "scooter" repair shops and none of them will work on a Chinese made scooter. I saw that someone mentioned a lawnmower repair shop that was willing to look at their scooter...What was the result of that? Can anyone advise?

• eyeslooking
    12 years ago

I was informed not to trust that particular lawnmower shop

Not to be the bearer of bad news. You must be mechanically inclined (he or she was not) or know someone who is a mechanic and has motor scooter knowledge.

Update. I did catch-up to the scandalous dealer last year, filed civilly & of course, railroaded. During the back and forth, a mechanic I haven't seen in years, did have mechanical knowledge and informed me this motor scooter ride like it has been refurbished. A few days later, I discovered the VIN tag doesn't match the Title VIN. The State of NJ is ranked #1 in Corruption. Conducting a fraudulent transaction is legal.

They unloaded a problematic motor scooter on you. Try and get your money back.

• Seanbrandon24_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I love my Chinese scooter. It's so reliable. I've done 8435 miles and all I've done is serviced it every 1000 miles. You can get parts Very easy nowdays. I use to own a vespa, and I had nothing but trouble with the thing. It's Funny really, people use to say back in the 1960's " stay clear of those Japenesse imports, they are a load of rubbish!" All these big brands have been ripping us off for years! I'm pleased the chinese are offering more affordable bikes for us to enjoy. :)

• SheldonCwinn
    10 years ago

Some of the comments in this forum just made me cringe. Many of you simply do not know what you are talking about. If you buy a Kymco (Agility line) Honda Mero, or Yamaha BWS you are buying a Chinese scoot! If you buy a Chinese scoot today many of the parts are made in Taiwan or Japan. In fact even if you buy a Vespa most of the bike is assembled and produced in Vietnam!!!!

Don't dump on Chinese bikes just because. It isn't fair.

Chinese scoots have improved a lot during the past 5 years or so, but like everything else, there are good Chinese Scoots and re are bad Chinese Scoots. How do you know which is which?

Some Chinese companies make their own engines. Start there. SYM makes the TOMOS Nitro in China. Its their own engine and its a great, well-made bike (I own one.) Another is Linhai which is partly owned by Yamaha. If you see a Linhai motor on another brand don't buy that brand because Linhai does not sell their motors to any other manufacturer. Neither does SYM. In fact, Linhai is the largest manufacturer of motorcycles in China. Many of their products are marketed under the Yamaha label. These two brands and Benzhou are well made and up to the standards of Taiwanese manufacturers. (If my research is right Benzhou makes the Agility line for Kymco.) There are other tier-one manufacturers in China as well, just these three I am familiar with.

There are mid-tier Chinese brands as well such as Pulse, Lightspeed, Chironex, Roketta, and Tank. Today Pulse is producing a beautifully made product indeed. The mid-tier bikes are often cheaper than the top-tier bikes, but can be a bit less reliable to own.

With 2,800 scooter manufacturers in China there is a lot of junk being turned out too, but lots of fine high quality scooters as well. Another good tip is to make sure that there is an American (or Canadian) distrbutor and that the distributor has a large parts inventory. I called TOMOS before purchasing my bike and found out that they were operating from a warehouse that is
    60,000 square feet in Canada. Do your homework.

What is my point? When you buy a Chinese bike, you re really buying a Chinese assembled bike. The engine, carborator, CDI, ignition coil, and transmission are most likely Japonese. Heck the GY6 engine is screw for screw, casting for casting, part for part a Japonese engine!!!

All scooters need repair and maintenance. Chinese scooters, if you do your research and buy a top tier brand, will be every bit as reliebale as anything else out there.

• jemdandy
    9 years ago

I read above about some complaints of vibration. Bear in mind that all single cylinder engines do vibrate. A few modern designs may have a pair of internal rotating shafts with balance weights that counters the major vibration component. Most low cost single cylinder engines do not have such. Vertical twin cylinders also vibrate.

If you find that some parts rattle/buzz at certain engine speeds, you may be able to quiet these with silicon rubber cement (caulking compound). For example, I had a license plate that wanted to buzz. A couple dollops of silicon rubber cement on the backside of the plate that pasted the free edges to the holder fixed the problem and added damping as well. When necessary, the cement can be peeled off.

Sponsored