Return to the Motorcycles/Scooters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for old Harley and Indian info.

Posted by blue_fastback (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 23, 07 at 19:13

A buddy and his cousin just recieved from a will a 1956 Harley and 19?? Indian. He just told me today and I thought I might ask to find out the value of these. The Indian needs some parts and he is having a hard time coming up with pictures. Both bikes are dismantled.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for old Harley and Indian info.

Depends on so many things that it is hard to even guess. Basket cases are often mismatched parts, so it depends a lot on how many parts are original to that year, and what condition they are in. Mid-50s Harleys are my personal favorite. Could be a K Model (the predecessor to the Sportster) or a Panhead. A good condition model from that year goes for at least $12,000, or more. But that is for an all original, fully operating bike.

The Indian could be worth a lot more, depending on the year and model. Even the cheapest Indians from the original company go for well over $10,000, but again for a fully functional bike. The good news is that parts are relatively easy to find for most Indians, including lots of new replica parts (check out kiwi-indian.com).

There are plenty of guys around the country who can tell you what you need to restore the bikes. You need to find a nearby expert and start seeing what you got.

Hope you guys get em running.

o

I have a friend that is an Indian "expert". He could probably answer some questions for you on the Indian.

Better for your friend if you could post some pictures of his bike.

What part of Michigan are you from?

o

I am from Livonia. I will be talking to my buddy on friday to get more info.

o

The '56 could also...just maybe...be a Flathead servi-car.
You say they're both basket cases, so who knows.

I'm interested in finding out whatcha got there!
Keep us posted.....

o
Forgot to add...

If your buddy plans on restoring the Harley, Bruce Palmer's book: "How to Restore Your Harley-Davidson Motorcycle" is invaluable.
I used it when I restored my Flathead.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Motorcycles/Scooters Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here