Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
love_the_yard

How to Refinish Iron Chair?

There is a gardening blog that I frequent where the writer has a garden chair that I just love. I've been watching Craigslist in the hopes of getting something similar and I recently got lucky! I got the chair in the photo below for $10. Now I need your help to refinish mine so it looks like the one that I love on the blog.

First, here is a link to the chair that I love in the blog. The chair is in the top photo. Brown Iron Garden Chair I would like mine to look just like this one. I asked the writer about her chair and she said that she has not done anything to paint/clean/refinish it - it is exactly as she purchased it. So I have no idea what the finish is.

Here is a photo of the chair that I purchased. It is made of iron and very heavy. It has two layers of old paint. The top coat is black and about half chipped off. Underneath that is a layer of silver paint. Fortunately, there is no rust at all anywhere on the chair:

So what is the best way to get mine to look like the one in the blog? Should I strip the two old layers of black and silver paint off first? I purchased a product called Strypeeze, but I haven't used it yet. It is supposed to remove the paint in about 15-20 minutes. I would do the project on cardboard in the back yard. The instructions on the Strypeeze say after the goo has set for 15-20 minutes and the sludge wiped off, I can scrub the chair down with a stiff brush and rinse it with a hose. I have enough Strypeeze to repeat the process if necessary.

Once the old paint is removed, what is the best paint to use? This chair is definitely going to sit in the yard in the weather. I bought it for that purpose. But I'd like to keep it from turning to rust. I was thinking about using Rustoleum Rusty Metal primer (Click here to see Rusty Metal Primer Spray.) It looks like the exact color that I want. However, I am not sure that will work.

First, my chair doesn't have any rust on it. Can I still use a rusty metal primer spray?

Second, the paint is a primer. Could I use several coats of the primer only? Or does primer require a finishing/top coat?

Many thanks in advance for the help!

Carol

Comments (6)

Sponsored