Return to the Metalworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cleaning copper door knobs and plates

Posted by jms1051 (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 2, 07 at 19:57

I got new oak doors in my 1920's house and I want to reuse the hardware. I polished the old brass hinges. Now I'm trying to clean up the copper or copper coated door plates and knobs. They had paint on the edges so I used Citrus strip to remove the paint. Now I've been trying to clean them with Brasso with mixed results.

I either can't get all the tarnish off or I encounter silvery areas or dark gray areas that won't come off no matter how much I rub. Is there a better strategy than Brasso?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cleaning copper door knobs and plates

"I encounter silvery areas or dark gray areas that won't come off no matter how much I rub."

You may have copper plating and it is simply worn away.
The first test would be to see if a magnet sticks.

o

If what you have is more than copper plating, you might try to clean it with clear ammonia full strength. This is harsh and corrosive. Wear rubber gloves, use it sparingly, and avoid breathing in the fumes.

o

Thanks for the responses. A magnet sticks which I believe tells me that it's not all copper. I need to reuse them with my doors so I'll proceed carefully. Thanks!

o

Maybe you could do a gold leaf on them. Craft stores sell gold leaf.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Metalworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here