Return to the Metalworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Copper deck railing system

Posted by tridogdude (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 15, 13 at 17:56

Patio deck on our home was 4"x4" wood posts (painted) and drilled for cable rail system. We bought the house with this existing railing. The biggest hassle was the maintenance on it since there are a total of 25 posts that need painted and scraping to refinish. Try scraping and painting around cables on just one post and you will see what I mean.

Anyway, after much thought last winter, I came up with my own design and started fabricating a new railing system completely out of copper tube. There are 24 each posts made from 1-1/2" copper pipe and 1 inside corner post made from 3" copper pipe. Each tube had to be drilled thru to allow for the horizontal runs which are all 1/2" copper tube. Each post is attached to welded steel bracket that was built to allow for adjusting plumb. The brackets are fastened to the deck face with stainless steel lag bolts.

The top railing of 1-1/2" copper is not yet installed on part of the deck and is shown in one photo. This was a very labor intensive project but we will never have to touch it again for maintenance.

All the 1-1/2" copper and some of the 1/2" copper was all scrapped from jobs I have worked on so this is mostly a recycled deck railing system. There is over 700 feet of 1/2" copper and 220 feet of 1-1/2". The one 3" post is 4 feet.

Here is a link that might be useful: Houzz projects

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Copper deck railing system

Nice job!
Personally, I don't like the looks in copper for railings, probably because my brain has too many imprints from other uses around the house, like flashing's, eves-troughs etc. Stainless Steel would have been my Joice.

o

Thanks. Yeah, I really like stainless steel as well. I just have more access to copper and I have seen tons of stainless railing systems but not one like this out of copper.

o

Are you going to keep it polished or let turn green?

The green doesn't look bad when it uniform like the Statue of Liberty and courthouse roofs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Metalworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here