Return to the Metalworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to get a copper fire pit cover made

Posted by steveintn (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 2, 06 at 17:29

I need to make a 42 inch circumference copper cover for a fire pit. Doesn't need to be fancy, concave, like a big shield with a handle in the middle.

I know nothing about working with metal. Retail prices for this kind of cover are steep. Of course, if you have a bargain source for something like this, let me know.

Any suggestions on what to do (or not do)while getting this done. Who best to call for the raw materials? My local metal scrap place? Is copper more difficult to work with than say, iron or steel? How many hours of skilled metal working labor should I expect to hammer/weld/forge this?

Thanks for any insights. It's for a gift.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to get a copper fire pit cover made

I've seen those offered in gardening catalogues, like Gardeners Supply, or Lee Valley. It is usually easier and cheaper to buy something already being manufactured than to reinvent the wheel.
Norm

o
RE: How to get a copper fire pit cover made

You should be able to find a local HVAC company to purchase the copper. They will also cut it for you. Copper is soft and not easy to cut without /crimping the edges.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Metalworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here