Return to the Metalworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to may a chain-link fence gate stay in adjustment

Posted by Central_Valley (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 28, 13 at 16:13

Sorry if this is a bit far from the forum's topic. I can't find a forum that's really appropriate, and I hope people who work with metal will know the answer.

My gardem has a gate of the sort that commonly appears in a chain link fence, and it was scraping the ground when it was opened. I've adjusted it, but I don't know how to prevent the problem from happening again (and again and again).

The gate's hinges are attached to the gate's frame on one side, and a supporting pole on the other, by metal straps. Each strap is clamped around the support by a nut and bolt. But no matter how much the nut is tightened, the straps are going to slip a little at a time until the gate is resting on the ground again. I can see by the marks on the supporting pole that this has happened before.

There should be a "right way" to install this gate so that once it's adjusted it stays in place. Does anyone know how?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to may a chain-link fence gate stay in adjustment

An instant fix with some thin plastic or rubber put between should work.
Take the clamp apart or loosen all the way,
I'm thinking plastic of some sort of bottles [similar size] cut in half and put around. Perhaps pop bottle, if need be two layers.

Or... put some outdoor silicone onto both side, tighten up, not too hard to where it should be, let the gate weight resting on something on the ground,..clean up the squeezed out silicon with towel, let it rest for at least 24 hours, then tighten up all the way.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Metalworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here