Return to the Metalworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LP Gas Tank

Posted by trickster734 (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 5, 05 at 14:52

Hi all 1st post so here go's, I received a 125 gal lp gas tank, the tank is empty and vented open. I plan on making a smoker/cooker out of it. I have been told that prior to working on it I should fill it with water and let it sit for about a week drain and repeat. I have also been told that when cutting into the tank with a torch that the metal will sometimes pop due to being impregnated with residual gas. Does anyone here have any exp with welding and cutting on these type of tanks, and is this the proper way to purge. I know it can be done, I see these cookers all over the place. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LP Gas Tank

I guess it can be done, but you better d--ned sure know what you're doing or you'll be the first and last thing cooked on that cooker.
Mike

o

I saw a man use a flexable pipe ran it from exhaust of his Portable welder to the propane tank. Somehow the Carbon monoxide disapated the propane gas fumes. Had no problem then cutting ends out of the tank.

o

I've cut A few up for various reasons over the years but I like to wash them out with Dawn dish soap and let them sit open to the atmosphere for a few months before I cut them.
I like to use a Sawsall to cut them as I have less grinding to do and the chance of sparks is greatly reduced. If A torch is used A few pounds of dry ice put into the tank will drive out any oxygen. Put the dry ice in the tank and leave it in for A few hours (this gives you a chance to check on your health and life insurance) I don't like the exhaust gas trick as if your vehicle is running rich you might be putting gasoline vapor into the tank and this would not be good. At the vary least fill the tank to the cut line with water before you cut it.
The best bet is to use a new tank from Tractor Supply or the like. I don't think they cost that much (50 bucks?) and it's A damn site safer!

Good Luck!
H.R.
PS: This is only my experence,Your results may vary.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Metalworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here