Return to the Metalworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to tell the difference between solder and silver?

Posted by eden10x (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 11, 09 at 12:39

Years ago I was poking around with making silver jewelry. I was using various gages of sterling silver wire with medium silver solder wire.
I stopped for a while, but recently decided to start up again and dug out my silver making supplies, but I have a problem- I stored my solder wire with my silver wire without marking them, and now I can't tell which is which.
Is there an easy way to tell the difference between the two without using my torch to see which melts more easily?

Thank you in advance for any help with this!

Eden

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to tell the difference between solder and silver?

Solder is much softer when you bend it, and would easily dent if you pressed on it with a knife blade. Also, silver wire may be tarnished after that much time has passed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Metalworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here