Return to the Metalworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A tough bulb for drop lite

Posted by mla2ofus (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 1, 04 at 23:33

I've finally found a bulb for my drop lite, trouble lite or whatever you want to call it. I've had a coil style flourescent bulb in mine for over a year now and it's been dropped plenty and still works. Just thought I'd mention that for you that buy 4 packs of bulbs for your drop lite.
Mike

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A tough bulb for drop lite

Thanks for the tip Mike. I've been using 130V commercial bulbs in mine and they seem to last a little longer than the fragile house bulbs. I tried those flourescent bulbs in the barn and they didnt seem to like our cold Colorado temperature at night. I never thought of using them in my drop light.

Kurt

o

Thanks for the tip Mike. My experience indicates that you probably got a good one. My neighbor gave me one of those that was good untill it got dropped into some water in a garbage can lid. I bought a couple of packs of them at a dollar store that were made in China or Tiawan that were not very good at all, not very bright and did not last long, so I guess that there is quite a bit of variatrion in them.
An electrician told me a long time ago to get light bulbs from an electrical supply house that were made for 130 instead of 110 or 115. Said that the filliament was bigger and did not break when hot nearly as easily, but they cost a good bit more.
Something was posted on the Garden Tractor forum recently about a light bulb that is over 100 years old in Ft. Worth, and that was not the record. I think that it has only been turned off twice during that time. They don't make them like that much anymore.
Bill P.

o

The company I work for purchases the bulbs specifically made for drop light (not sure where they get them they send them to our jobsite) the package actually reads Rough Usage Bulb these things are tough as nails I think I have seen them at hardware stores to, they also have a laminated outside surface if they get broken the pieces stay together real well, keeps from scattering glass everywhere. These might be a bit pricey for a Homeowner though not sure of the cost.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Metalworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here