Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joefixit2

7018 rods

joefixit2
14 years ago

I have heard that the 7018s will absorb moisture within a couple hours after opening them from a sealed tin, and must be dried in a rod oven after that. I have also heard not to buy them in plastic boxes, they will already be ruined.

I have an unopened box of 7018s that I haven't tried yet, for this reason. Is there truth to this? If so, can they be dried in a regular oven?

My intended use is for some beginner projects like a steel table, gates, and maybe sides for my flatbed trailer.

Comments (3)

• drizler
    14 years ago

Try here. http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtalk/

This is the best source for welding info I know of though there are many others. I can't personally see the need for low Hydrogen rod in general purpose applications and have only used it a couple times myself due to its special needs. If you are just starting out 6013 is nice easy rod to weld with or 6011 is good for vertical as it is a general purpose fast freeze rod. These are what I use for the majority of my home / ranch uses and they are fine. They last for many years with minimal precautions too. The Hobart page has links to a pretty considerable knowledge base. Miller and Lincoln have similar sites.

• jarred4
    14 years ago

I use 7018 at work everyday. We have ovens we are supposed to use but i've had a pocket full of rod through light rain and snow all day weld just fine. Theres nothing special about a rod oven, a regular oven will work.

• alanrockwood
    13 years ago

You are supposed to store 7018 rod at a temperature of 300 F. If the rod has been out for more than a few hours you are supposed to recondition the rod in an oven for one hour at 500 F (some sources say 700 F).

Some people say you can get away without doing this. However, the manufacturers say otherwise.

The problem with 7018 rod is that it is prone to "hydrogen embrittlement" which happens because the flux on the rod absorbs humidity and then it produces hydrogen in the arc. The hydrogen dissolves in the molten steel and makes the weld brittle. I suppose if your project does not require heavy duty strength this would not be something to worry about.

As far as your package of rod is concerned, maybe the best thing would be to contact the manufacturer with your questions of whether the rod may still be good.

It's ironic that 7018 is subject to hydrogen embrittlement because that type of rod was developed specifically for low hydrogen welding. However, it turns out that the flux is hygroscopic, so if the rod is not stored properly then it becomes the opposite of a low hydrogen rod.

I am giving this information from book learning, not from actual experience with 7018.

Sponsored
ANF Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Kitchen & Bath Designers Servicing VA