Return to the Metalworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Project -- Linley Vertical Jig Boring Machine w/ Pics

Posted by davidwczerr (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 5, 04 at 21:38

So I need another project like I need a hole in my head, but when you're at auction and you see something like this come up sometimes you just can't resist! I beleive it dates from the '30's or 40's and it is a vertical jig boring machine......or for me, a small milling machine. It needs some work, but not too much. The motor will have to be swapped, the machine cleaned and painted, and a belt guard/cover fabricated. The table travel is around 8" x 12" or so and everything is very tight, I don't think this machine saw very much use. I've taken it apart into 3 main sections and cleaned it up and oiled all the ways and sliding surfaces until I have time to work on it. I've wanted a small machine for quite a while, but don't like the idea of spending $1500 on a table top Tawainese machine, so this will fit the bill nicely.

I found a great website (http://www.lathes.co.uk/) that has a write up on these machines. Apparently about 900 lbs and orginally sold for over $3k......I paid $30 :-) Also shown is an 18" Tannewitz table saw that my father couldn't pass up. It went for just a little bit more than the Linley mill. BTW, the third pic is what it should look like when I'm done......

Does anyone have any experience with the Linley machines? Thoughts, tips, advice, etc is always appreciated. Thanks, David

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Project -- Linley Vertical Jig Boring Machine w/ Pics

That looks like a project that would be hard to resist! If not so equiped I wonder if it would be practical to retrofit with an R8 spindle. kbeitz will probably be chiming in here soon, he's probably seen one of these before.

John

o

John, I'm not sure what spindle type it is.......however I don't think they had R-8 back then. It does have an indexable boring head mounted in it currently, so who knows it may have been retrofitted. Or it could be a larger Morse Taper. Either way, my preliminary search into tooling indicated that I should be able to convert up to a more current standard if I want to (and can afford to do so!).

Thanks, David

o

That looks like quite a good buy. On the belt guard, you could do some measuring and see if the guard for a drill press fits. If so it might save a lot of time fabbing one for it. It looks like it's in good shape, hope you don't hit any snags on it.
Mike A

o

Nope Kbeitz has none and seen none... But...
My brother bought a Bakery factory and your unit looks just like his doe-mixing machines with out the table... Maybe they was made by the same company...

o

my motor on the linley burn out i need a used motor in good condition please let me know they want 450 dollars for rewinding it i need help rafy sierra

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Metalworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here