Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
davidwczerr

New Project -- Linley Vertical Jig Boring Machine w/ Pics

davidwczerr
19 years ago

So I need another project like I need a hole in my head, but when you're at auction and you see something like this come up sometimes you just can't resist! I beleive it dates from the '30's or 40's and it is a vertical jig boring machine......or for me, a small milling machine. It needs some work, but not too much. The motor will have to be swapped, the machine cleaned and painted, and a belt guard/cover fabricated. The table travel is around 8" x 12" or so and everything is very tight, I don't think this machine saw very much use. I've taken it apart into 3 main sections and cleaned it up and oiled all the ways and sliding surfaces until I have time to work on it. I've wanted a small machine for quite a while, but don't like the idea of spending $1500 on a table top Tawainese machine, so this will fit the bill nicely.

I found a great website (http://www.lathes.co.uk/) that has a write up on these machines. Apparently about 900 lbs and orginally sold for over $3k......I paid $30 :-) Also shown is an 18" Tannewitz table saw that my father couldn't pass up. It went for just a little bit more than the Linley mill. BTW, the third pic is what it should look like when I'm done......

Does anyone have any experience with the Linley machines? Thoughts, tips, advice, etc is always appreciated. Thanks, David

Comments (5)