Return to the Metalworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fireplace Screen Cleaning Help

Posted by barbb (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 13, 06 at 15:13

Boy I'm not sure I'm in the right place and if not perhaps someone can direct me.

We have an old free standing antique brass and wire fireplace screen that has been "damaged" by my wonderful cat who decided he wanted to mark it as his own. I am now left with this oh so attractive "marking" line running down the length of the screen. Silly me thought I could just 409 it away and all would be well. Not so---the stain is now whitish and I would so appreciate some input from anyone as to a way I could either clean this area so it'll blend into the other part of the undamaged screen or doing something to mask it. I'm afraid I just can't pop the old out and put a new in as this is one of those "fancy" ones with the medallion in the middle of the screen types.

Thanks for any help you can offer me.

BarbB

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fireplace Screen Cleaning Help

YOU MIGHT TRY USING AM0NIA OR OTHER CLEANERS WITH AS NEAR THE MARKING AS POSSIBLE THEN PAINT THE SCREEN WITH HIGH TEMP PAINT.

o

Thanks Adrander so much for your reply. Well, I did try to clean it with everything I could think of, but as soon as it dries it goes back to the white streak. Think I'm just going to take it down to our local stove and sheet metal place who said they'd paint it for me. After that I'll have to find something that will deter him from repeating his action.

Thanks again,

BarbB

o

YOU'RE WELCOME.

o

Thanks so much, carolina, for keeping my inquiry so long, and your answer. These are wonderful tips, and for all who have working fireplaces should be followed. I'm afraid ours is not a burning fireplace as in wood or gas. It's actually an electric fireplace and used very seldom. We have this antique firescreen in front of it all the time,but since it's been "damaged" by the cats, I just needed help in restoring it to how it was. I've tried just about everything, and not sure I want to paint it since I think that will just look a little strange. Afraid I will just have to replace the screen.

Thanks again for your reply,

BarbB

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Metalworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here