Return to the Metalworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
blacksmith/welding education

Posted by jill_h (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 4, 07 at 13:03

I am trying to help my son look for a blacksmith or welding shop that will permit him to practice his hobby when he returns from school. We live in the north Texas area. He does not want to enroll in a community college class. He has been educated in both areas, but wants to hone his skills "on his own time." Does anyone have any idea how to go about doing this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: blacksmith/welding education

Probably would be best if he invested in his own tools, which would allow him to work when he could. I know few shops that would allow him to drop by and work, if he wasn't taking a class, employed there. Insurance reasons. Using the materials, all cost money.

There is a lot of experience to be gained working with the guys in a welding shop. Learning the metals, settings of welders, torch, sticks, to get good, solid welds, cutting. One of the hard lessons young folks learn, is how MUCH the older folks already know. Would have, could have, saved lots of learning time, watching and learning from the experienced welders, blacksmiths. So many tricks, methods of handling metal, plus stuff you just can't short-cut. Alas, that old guy is soon gone, not available anymore, once the kid "gets smarter". My husband works metal, wishes some of those old guys were around to ask questions when he hits a snag.

o

There is a book called:"How to Cast Small Metal and Rubber Parts" by William A. Cannon. It's a great little book that is still published that describes how to build a small foundry for melting scrap like aluminum, brass and zinc. He might find this of some use. It's real useful if you need to make a part for something like an antique car. It explains the mold process too. Hmm--could turn into a paying hobby,maybe.

If you do an internet search on this book in google,you'll find it.

o

Hey thanks! I'll have him check out this book.

o

That definitely would be tough for a normal running shop to take extra time to teach anyone. I would contact your local Blacksmith association and ask of there are any hammer-ins that he could attend and maybe get some info and maybe even hands on experience there. Here in Michigan we have two smiths that have free forge time in there shops one night a week.

Here is a video of me forging a simple leaf Key Chain:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1701704/blacksmith_forging_a_leaf_key_chain/

There are a lot of videos like this online. They can give him a basic idea of how things work and when he finally gets to hit some hot steel he will be a little further off.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blacksmith forging a Leaf Key Chain

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Metalworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here