Return to the Metalworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Copper Kettle

Posted by nosambos (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 10, 09 at 12:51

I bought a giant copper kettle weighing about 35 pounds. It had an unattractive patina and crusted baking residue so I decided to clean it. This was no small task and in order to shorten the time I used hydrochloric acid instead of phosphoric acid. The final color is a rather ugly orangish brown rather than the reddish color I get when I use phosphoric acid. I've done muntiple rinsings and steel wool buffings yet the color remains. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Copper Kettle

Congratulations on your acquisition! I use these kettles at work fairly often (I'm a baker and we make fillings and candies and such in them) and I wish I had one for myself. They're not cheap, and I have no real use for one at home, but they are neat.

I'm surprised you haven't been able to clear the old color using steel wool, but come to think of it they do seem to be resistant to scouring, so maybe what you need to do is bring a solution of water and lemon juice to a boil in the kettle. I've never seen this fail to brighten the copper beautifully. An outdoor cooker (turkey cooker?) should do the job. Just try to be sure that the hot solution covers the entire surface.

Lemon meringue pies anyone?

Good luck,

Mark

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Metalworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here