Return to the Metalworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need Your Expertise & Advice

Posted by lynninnewmexico (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 13, 08 at 12:14

I'm looking for some kind of metal sheeting or panels that are perforated and rustproof to use as shelving on our (outdoor) wood racks. We're ordering two of them that are metal. The problem is that every one we find has a depth that is too deep for the logs we use. We have kiva fireplaces out here and they require shorter logs. Regular wood racks allow our logs to tip off.

My solution is to find some kind of perforated metal sheeting that we can lay across the racks to support any length of log, while allowing the air to circulate and rain and snow to drain through . . . but what? Where can we find it and how much can we expect to pay for them????

We'd prefer something that we either don't have to cut ourselves or that's easy to cut with the average+ tool shop tools. Lightweight would also be great.

Just talked to my husband and the racks are 8ft long each. He says that we should figure on a usable length of 88-90" long (each). Individual panels that are about 40" long would be ideal, but we can adapt if necessary.
As for depth, anywhere from 36-45"D would work.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks!
Lynn

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need Your Expertise & Advice

Instead of buying something to fix this
why not get some small diameter logs (1.5 inches)
that are long enough and cover the shelf with those.
then stack the regular firewood on top of them.
Or you could use slats of wood or cut down pallets.

Sure, the wood you use will eventually rot,
but it is easy to replace, and can be free to get.
Pallets can be found for free, and you can take slats off those.
Or you can find scrap wood that is being given away.
If nothing else, get a sheet of 3/4 CDX plywood
and cut it to fit, and then cover it with roofing felt.
These are just some alternatives to buying
a big heavy expensive piece of metal.

Pooh Bear

o
RE: Need Your Expertise & Advice

Thanks for your ideas. You're right, wood would be cheaper and easier. I was thinking more towards drainage and rotting when I came up with the metal sheeting idea. But a cut down pallet would solve the drainage problem and could easily and cheaply be replaced when it did rot through. Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Metalworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here