Return to the Metalworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Support for patio natural stone countertop

Posted by tomatkins (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 11, 08 at 10:50

Hi

I will be putting up a natural stone counter top in the patio (2 inch thick natural stone tread, 5 1/2 ft long, 2 ft wide, which is the 250-300 lb weight range. This counter top will be supported on front, left, right by a cinder/concrete block wall.

I was thinking of using flat steel per other posts on this forum. However it seems that regular steel will rust and stainless steel flat bar is very very expensive.

Can anyone suggest a solution for this? Can i prep the regular steel flat bar, to essentially make it last longer before rusting?

And how many such steel bars would I need to support the stone top. Currently the overhang on the near edge of the wall is 4-5 inches and the overhange on the far side of the
counter top and the overhang there will be 9-11 inches range.

Thanks
Raj

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Support for patio natural stone countertop

Flat stock will offer very little support. If you decide to you steel, I would suggest angle or channel. New steel can be primed and painted and will last a long time. For a little more money, you could use aluminum, no priming or painting. You can give it a satin finish with a sanding pad and then clear coat it. If this is going against a wall, the back angle would be bolted to it. If it's free standing, I would consider 2x3x1/4 angle, with the 2" as the face.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Metalworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here