Return to the Metalworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fountains out of copper

Posted by dettmann (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 9, 06 at 10:41

I would like to make a fountain spout out of copper sheets..( i am thinking of making flower forms... bending hammering ect) I am totally new to this.

A couple of questions...
1. Are regular soldering joints strong enough to hold art work together... Any suggestions for the type of solder? The less toxic the better.

2. Can small pieces (less than 12X12") be annealed with a hand held propane torch.

3. At what point in the bending and hammering process do you know to anneal? Can you feel the metal becoming less flexable?

4. I understand that pickling removes the oxidation created during the annealing process. Is this nessesary to continue to shape? I kinda like the look of the oxidized copper.

5. Any book suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fountains out of copper

THAT'SA LOT OF QUESTIONS. I ALSO WOULD LIKE THE ANSWERS TO SOME OF THESE. I THINK THE SHEETS WOULD SOLDER OK LIKE USING SWEATING.

o
RE: Fountains out of copper

Your first question about solder - that I am not too sure of since I do all my fountains with an Oxygen Acetylene torch and use silver solder or Sil Flos.

Yes, you can anneal a piece of 12" x 12" copper with a small propane torch. It will take some time, but it can be done.

When you fold or bend or hammer copper the molecules move together until they are so tight the copper fractures. Annealing releases the molecules and the copper is again soft.

You'll want to stop before you reach this point. When the copper gets too hard to form by hand it is time to anneal. To be on the safe side, anneal often.

When you heat copper a firescale (discoloration) developes. It is not necessary to remove this firescale if you like that appearaance. You can also wire brush the copper and then color it with the propane flame bringing out reds, blues and greens.

Copper is one of the easiest metals to work with. If you anneal often, it can be shaped and reshaped over and over again.

George Goehl

Here is a link that might be useful: Metal Sculpture Instructional Videos

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Metalworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here