Return to the Metalworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Waterproof sealant for rusted metal?

Posted by Bellefoliage (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 5, 04 at 6:31

Have a rusted metal outdoor object that I would like to keep as is. (No further rusting but preserving the finish as it is now.) Would prefer a sealant/finish that is matte, not shiny, and obviously waterproof. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Waterproof sealant for rusted metal?

pine sap?

o

I found an excellent product. It is sold by NAPA auto parts and is called "NAPA Rust Treatment". Item # 765-1232. I've used it on old rusty metal I've wire brushed, but wanted to retain the "old" look. It works fantastic even when submerged in water. It dries clear and has a dull finish. Hope this helps.
Mike A.

o

Many thanks Mike - will give it a try.

o

You could try Rustoleum Red Primer. It has fish oil in it, and actually works quite well in penetrating existing rust and preventing additional rusting.

You'll want to brush off loose rust, apply a good coat of red primer, and then let it dry for a couple of weeks. Longer in cold weather. Once it's hard to the touch, it can be painted with a good oil-based enamel.

Don't remove all the rust - the primer needs rust for the oil to penetrate. Otherwise, there will be a slick of oil on top of the primer, which could make top-coating difficult. However, I've had good luck by wiping down dried primer with a degreaser and had the top coat stick just fine.

The Rustoleum Red Primer contains no lead, although early red primers had red lead oxide in them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Metalworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here