Return to the Metalworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to put square peg in round hole on metal door?

Posted by Cube1067 (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 22, 04 at 10:03

Mounting a security bar on basement fire door. Instructions call for 5/16" hole to be drilled, then with a hammer you pound a hexagonal nut into the hole. Instructions say two or three hits with hammer will do it. I pounded until I was tired but cant get the nut to go through the hole. I want a tight fit. Do I need a sledgehammer?

A separate problem: painted this same door with Hammerite. That paint was difficult to use! I brushed it on the trim and rolled it on the door. As it dried, I saw drips on the trim and roller marks on the door. Overall, I'd give my end result a C+. Any tips on using Hammerite? (the paint that gives the hammered finish).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to put square peg in round hole on metal door?

You need an anvil for a back stop... Banging on wood does nothing...

o

Try having someone hold a 3 pound drilling hammer against the door on the opposite side from the nut location. It may provide enough mass to allow the nut to be driven in.
Another method would be to use some metal to spread the load on the off side and a piece of all thread and a nut to pull the other nut into the hole.

o

Toured Home Depot and came back with a "reamer" and a 3lb drilling hammer. I got the elevator bolt through the hole, but because of other problems (misread instructions) I had to uninstall and reinstall the bolt. The reinstalled bolt does not sit perfectly flush now, so now I am looking for help on some type of hard drying epoxy/resin filler to put in the small gap between the elevator bolt head and the steel door. Thanks again?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Metalworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here