Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tbird_gw

buying welder

tbird
17 years ago

ok I know this was probably posted 1 million times but, im looking to but a welder, something not way expensive, but I did find one used its a chicago mig 100, anyway these are the specs:

115 volt, 15 amps, single phase Welding current (2 settings) 63 to 68 amps (low), 79 to 90 amps (high) Duty cycle: 10% @ 80 amps, 18% @ 60 amps Wire capacity: 0.035'' or 0.030'' it uses flux-cored welding wire.

Now the question is what does all this stuff mean? and number 2, would it be any good to weld fencing about 1/4 inch thick steel.

btw: this welder i found is used and the person is selling it for 135$ canadian, so my 3rd question is it worth it?

Comments (9)

• Pooh Bear
    17 years ago

Chicago Industries is the Harbor Freight Brand.

I have one of their stick welders. Hobby Arc 110.
    Bought it off ebay for $5. Works great. Goes up to 110? amps.

You're not going to be welding 1/4 inch material in one pass with it.
    I turn mine all the way up and can barely weld 1/4 stock.
    It will weld 1/8 inch stuff real good.

10% duty cycle means you can weld continuously for 1 minute.
    Then the unit has to sit and cool down.
    Duty cycle is a percentage of ten minutes.
    10% is one minute out of 10, 20% is 2 minutes out of 10, etc.
    It hasn't been a problem for me so far. I burn one rod,
    then I stop to inspect the damage I just inflicted.
    I turn the machine off when I am not using it.

Oh, and I'm not a welder. Had never touched a welding machine
    before I got this one. I have done one major project so far.
    And I only spot welded everything up in place, then I
    took it to a pro to weld it all up right.

Sounds to me like you are where I was a year ago.
    The difference will be what you want to do with it.
    For me, my little welder works just fine.
    For you things may be different. But I suggest a bigger welder.

Pooh Bear

Here is a link that might be useful: The welder you found. Manual is available on this page

• tbird
    Original Author
    17 years ago

well the main thing is that im not going to be doing heavy duty stuff, but i do realize that its not a very good welder I however can, get another welder, thats a stick for pretty much the same price however this one is a lincoln electric and was heavily used in a factory, primarily for welding brass and aluminum, also its a 240v which i don't have.

• Pooh Bear
    17 years ago

If you got plenty of time to let the machine sit and cool down as needed, and you can make multiple passes, then it will work for you.
    Should be fine for light duty work, up to about 1/8 thick.
    Thicker than that will require multiple passes.

Pooh Bear

• brickeyee
    17 years ago

Take a welding class before you buy anything.

• junkmanme
    17 years ago

Personally, my minimum for a welder would be one of the Lincoln "crackerbox" stick welders. They will handle most of the welding a person might do at home. To my knowledge, they use 220-240 V.

I don't know what's available re: 220-240 V in Canada, but if it's available to you, I'd spend the $135.00 on getting 220-240 V rather than buy the 110V welder. Then while you are taking a welding course at a Vo-Tech school, you could save up for a 220V welder.

I've got a 220V extension cord that I plug into the outlet for my electric clothes drier in the laundry shed when I use the welder.

just one man's opinion.....

Best Regards, Canadian friend and neighbor,
    Bruce (Junkmanme in New Mexico, USA)

• DrynDusty
    17 years ago

I'm tempted by the low end 220 amp welders myself, but have no where to keep one and no experience welding. No classes nearby. Maybe I'll see if my neighbor can teach me. He says he knows all about the subject!
    My brother showed me his auto darkening helmet: what an improvement!
    I was impressed also by the movie, "The worlds fastest Indian," in the scene where he cobbles together a trailer for his motorcycle from junk with a welder. No problem. Great movie, by the way.
    Norm

• deanzgurll
    17 years ago

google "welding"

• irishbrewer
    17 years ago

I recently bought a HF Arc-180 welder which is their 220V Stick Welder. It requires a 220V, 40A circuit.

It will weld at up to 100A in DC mode (DCEP or DCEN). In AC mode, it will go up to 130A.

It can burn up to about a 1/8 inch rod without any problems.

I like the machine and it was certainly very economical. However, I have a friend who bought a wire-feed welder from HF and he says that it was junk and had to return it. He is going to get one of the Arc-180s when it is in stock.

A couple things to note. The power cord on the HF welder is pretty short so you will probably want to replace it. I also replaced the ground cord and clamp and will be replacing the electrode cord. These were also pretty short and the ground clamp was not that great.

If you need a wire feed welder, you probably need to get a name brand like lincoln or miller to get anything decent.

• sandylighthouse
    17 years ago

Home Depot and Lowes have good 110v welders cheap.