Return to the Metalworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Getting started - bike stands, frames, etc.

Posted by standardhuman (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 6, 05 at 21:01

Hi all,

I am just now looking into purchasing and subsequently learning how to use, a welder. The first and most pressing project in mind is a bike repair stand, such as seen here.
Other projects in the future would probably involve messing around with various bike frames and similar types of materials. I would imagine steel and aluminum would be the most often used. I have read through most of the threads on here and I'm wondering what you all think about something like this dual mig welder as a startup rig. Also, what's the difference between that that and this flux and mig welder? Can these even do the sorts of things I'm looking to do? I am also unclear as to how the gas works with these, or really what role gas plays in general with these sorts of welders. Any info anyone would like to offer would be fantastic.

Thanks,
Brian

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Getting started - bike stands, frames, etc.

The difference between the 2 welders is power input(115v vs 230v) and capability (87amp vs 120amps) If you have the electrical, the 230v has a wider range in the thickness you can weld.

The gas is a shielding agent for when you weld.
one would either use a flux-core wire spool without gas or
a solid wire with a shielding gas.

both methods work, but typically results are cleaner using gas instead of flux.

to weld aluminum, you will have to buy the appropiate wire spool, and you may need a separate welding gun liner.

as always, joint prep and cleaning is important for a good weld.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Metalworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here