o
Blacksmithing

Posted by blacksmithman (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 17, 04 at 20:10

Here are a few of my projects.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blacksmithing

What did you use to bend your curves ???
Looks good....

o

Looks like you truely are an artisan Blacksmithman. Very nice work.
Bill P.

o

My wife is wanting a small iron table and chairs for the back deck.
Told her when she buys me a welder I will make them for her.

Did you make those leafs and berrys too. How?

Pooh Bear

o

Very good work . I wish I had the talent to make things like you do.

o

I love working with hot metal. It a new form of metal fabricating I just started.

Kevin - I make a template welded to some scrap flat sheet stock to form my repeated curves or radius. I heat my stock using a coal forge and clamp one end and pound or bend the material into place. I can use the horn on the anvil also. I do have a hand bender with different diameter round dies to for small rounds.

Pooh Bear - I made a special tool I mount on my anvil which I use to bound the vains on my leafs. It is a "C" shaped punching tool with a punch that looks like a curved chisel. I hold the red hot stock with tongs and hit the spring return "chisel" to form the vains on the leaf. The "grapes" I make by resistance welding a wire to ball bearings. I mig weld the 1/32 diameter curled wire and the leaves to the 1/8 diameter stem which gets welded to the frame.

I will post some more pictures of my tools and me working on the hot metal in the future.

o

The finished wine rack was missing from my original post here it is.

o

I too have many "homemade fixtures" for bending circles and such. One thing I also did was to add a stub of 2" sq. tube to the bottom of each. This would fit in a fixture I made that came out of the hitch on the back of my truck, and up to waist high. Many are just 1" cuts of various dia. pipe.

I would love to see a pic or 2 of your spring loaded chisel

Joe

o

Great looking stuff you've got there! How'd you do the rings for the wine rack? Metal bender, or some kind of ring roll or slip roll? I've seen pics for a homemade ring roll that I need to make some day to get nice circles.........

David

o

davidwczerr - I used a welding positioner that had a chuck attached and I used a pipe to form a long coil which I then cut up and welded to form rings. I just purchased a ring rolling fixture but it will not roll 1/4 diameter rod to a 4" I.D. needed for the wine rack. It may roll 3/16 to that size but I havent tried it. I bought it from Harbor Freight. It will also roll flat strips. I will try to get some pictures of my tools in the future.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Metalworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here