blacksmithman
19 years ago

Here are a few of my projects.

{{!gwi}}
{{!gwi}}

Comments (9)

• kbeitz
    19 years ago

What did you use to bend your curves ???
    Looks good....

• gonefishin
    19 years ago

Looks like you truely are an artisan Blacksmithman. Very nice work.
    Bill P.

• Pooh Bear
    19 years ago

My wife is wanting a small iron table and chairs for the back deck.
    Told her when she buys me a welder I will make them for her.

Did you make those leafs and berrys too. How?

Pooh Bear

• mike_lane
    19 years ago

Very good work . I wish I had the talent to make things like you do.

• blacksmithman
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I love working with hot metal. It a new form of metal fabricating I just started.

Kevin - I make a template welded to some scrap flat sheet stock to form my repeated curves or radius. I heat my stock using a coal forge and clamp one end and pound or bend the material into place. I can use the horn on the anvil also. I do have a hand bender with different diameter round dies to for small rounds.

Pooh Bear - I made a special tool I mount on my anvil which I use to bound the vains on my leafs. It is a "C" shaped punching tool with a punch that looks like a curved chisel. I hold the red hot stock with tongs and hit the spring return "chisel" to form the vains on the leaf. The "grapes" I make by resistance welding a wire to ball bearings. I mig weld the 1/32 diameter curled wire and the leaves to the 1/8 diameter stem which gets welded to the frame.

I will post some more pictures of my tools and me working on the hot metal in the future.

• blacksmithman
    Original Author
    19 years ago

The finished wine rack was missing from my original post here it is.

• JoeJ
    19 years ago

I too have many "homemade fixtures" for bending circles and such. One thing I also did was to add a stub of 2" sq. tube to the bottom of each. This would fit in a fixture I made that came out of the hitch on the back of my truck, and up to waist high. Many are just 1" cuts of various dia. pipe.

I would love to see a pic or 2 of your spring loaded chisel

Joe

• davidwczerr
    19 years ago

Great looking stuff you've got there! How'd you do the rings for the wine rack? Metal bender, or some kind of ring roll or slip roll? I've seen pics for a homemade ring roll that I need to make some day to get nice circles.........

David

• blacksmithman
    Original Author
    19 years ago

davidwczerr - I used a welding positioner that had a chuck attached and I used a pipe to form a long coil which I then cut up and welded to form rings. I just purchased a ring rolling fixture but it will not roll 1/4 diameter rod to a 4" I.D. needed for the wine rack. It may roll 3/16 to that size but I havent tried it. I bought it from Harbor Freight. It will also roll flat strips. I will try to get some pictures of my tools in the future.