Return to the Metalworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Antique Brass spray paint?

Posted by borisf (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 5, 06 at 19:19

We are in the process of refurbishing the 90+ year old heat vent covers in our house. They are cast iron and had a tremendous amount of dirt/grime and paint on them. We had them sandblasted and would now like to paint them. We're shooting for an antique brass color but can't seem to find anything that looks classy and understated.

We tried Rustoleum's Burnished Brass Metallic but this was too yellow and had a 70's like sparkly finish. The guy at the Lowes paint aisle said that anything labeled "Metallic" would have that look.

We did a couple of grates using Burnished Silver from PlastiKote and those turned out really well. Unfortunately they don't make anything in a brass-tone in their "Classic Metals" line.

Any recommendations?

P.S. We thought about re-plating them but estimates have been about $150 per grate and that's out of our budget right now.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Antique Brass spray paint?

Go to a craft store. You may not be able to find what you are looking for in a spray paint, but you will find any type of metal finish paint you can imagine, even actual brass paint that you can patina to make it antique.

o
RE: Antique Brass spray paint?

I don't know if this is practical, but I found at a paint store, some 'sign' paint for painting gold letters. It was available in antique gold, roman gold, bright gold, etc. You might try this type of idea. I don't know if it will take the heat though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Metalworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here