Return to the Metalworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brazing rods

Posted by bogman (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 15, 11 at 16:42

Has anyone used the Bernzomatic brazing/welding rods.I bought a pack of wb5 rods and looked them up on Bernzomatic's site but they give no info on their use. Can they be used with a standard propane torch or is more heat needed.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brazing rods

Bernzomatic WB5, 4 Pack, Premium Bronze Brazing Rod, 60,000 PSI Tensile Strength, 1600 Degree Working Temperature, Flux Coated, General Purpose Brazing Rod For Steels, Copper, Galvanized Or A Combination Of These Materials.
This for bronze soldering. A standard torch would work on small joints, but is close to max heat of torch. hope this helps

o

Wow, 1600degF... that's 4-500F higher than most so-called silver solders... some say you're NOT going to get there with propane, and will need MAPP gas to achieve that with any small DIY single-tank type torch.

I have the Bernz-o-matic JTH7 torch, which works with both propane and MAPP. It has a long flexible hose and very ergonomic torch. I highly recommend it. (Safest when used with the short squatty canisters, as they resist tipping over, due to mild tugs on the hose.)

OTOH, you didn't say what your application was. Temperatures above certain thresholds can destroy the temper of the work pieces you're trying to braze. What would NASA do? ;')

o

Or just use oxy-acetylene.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Metalworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here