Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poohbear2767

What kind of MW equipment do you have.

Pooh Bear
19 years ago

What kind of metal working equipment does everybody have.

I don't have any yet, but I plan to get a welder and o/a torch.

Need to learn how to weld first.

So what does everybody have.

Pooh Bear

Comments (27)

• mowerman42
    19 years ago

I have a century 110 welder, didn`t want a big box, I move it around a lot and it does just fine on light repairs or projects. Got the welder and sheet metal brake thru Eastwood.Different sheet metal shears and tools. You can make a lot of things (tools) yourself.This should be a good forum with different idea`s and tips from everyone....

• JeffGT235Va
    19 years ago

I don't have any yet, That is why I put in my request for this forum as well, I figure if I read it long enough, and enough people post to it, I will be a more educated consumer, and user, when it comes time to buy. Thanks Spike.

• swpro11
    19 years ago

I have a complete machine shop. Of course I manage a machine shop. 6 vertical CNC mills, 4 CNC lathes, tig, mig welders etc. Been a machinist for 21 years so look forward to all who post on this forum.

• kbeitz
    19 years ago

I also have a complete machine shop ... I build textile machines... You name the tool and I most likely have it...
    I love my Bridgport and my welding tools the best...

• DirtyEd
    19 years ago

I have a simple 250amp AC/DC stick machine, and a cheap 150 amp Mig machine, Oxy/accytelene torches, various grinders, Drills/presses, saws, nibbler, and plasma machine, with access to(neighbor's) mill and lathe, etc.... I spend more time repairing things for others than making things for myself.
    Funny thing about equipment, you don't realize how much you need it till you get it.
    DED

• john_in_ma
    19 years ago

I have an Atlas 10x24" lathe, a small welder, sheetmetal brake, and the usuall collection of general shop tools. Drill press, bandsaws, etc. Hobby use mainly.

I'm actually surprised this board was started.

• gonefishin
    19 years ago

Well, lets see not, I got a cutting torch,

A metal chop saw

A Lincoln 220 Tombstone type Welder 225 Amp. shown in the background here when I was building the cart for the cutting torch.

A drill press that is too small for what I now need, many various hand tools and some " speciality items that I made to help me do the things that I need to do, like this piece of I beam which is as close to an anvil as I have, plus some adaptation makes it handy to bend heated 5/8ths metal rod to make attachment pins.

Bill P.

• horseman1
    19 years ago

Greetings,

I have a 5/8 drill press and a hobart 175 mig grinders compressor and stuff, but I still need to get an oxy- acetylene torch. I am really looking forward to learning from you folks that do this stuff for a living. I just fab up little things I need around here and a few small tractor implements and farm repairs. An AC/dc stick is in my future too if I can find one cheap at a farm sale.

Kurt

• triptester
    19 years ago

I have a Lincoln AC 225 stick and a Lincoln SP-170 wire welder 220 volt. Drill press, chopsaw, grinders, small lathe, and access to a metal fab shop for the tools I can't afford. The scrap metal dumpster is the sorce of most of my raw matierials.

• wasmeneh
    19 years ago

I have a lincoln AC 225 and a cheapo 120 volt wire feed from Harbor freight. Incidently the cheapo works great on thinner metal, like mower decks but is worthless on thicker stuff ( sometimes I'll tack weld with it). I also have a cut off saw, a few grinders and a drill press.
    Mike

Does anybody have a chart they could post with the best sticks to use for differing metals?

• JoeJ
    19 years ago

Wasmeneh,

I have a Hobart Pocket Electrode Guide, if you can find one, jump on it.
    Here is a page that may help you, until you find the book.

Joe

Here is a link that might be useful: Hobart Filler Guide

• JoeJ
    19 years ago

And here is another helpful page. A lot of useful information for the newer welders.

Here is a link that might be useful: Brain Farth's Homepage

• wasmeneh
    19 years ago

Thanks for the info Joel
    Mike

• KevC___Ireland
    19 years ago

TOOLS??

250A stick welder,
    metal chop saw,
    a few grinders,
    pillar drill,
    Metal layout bench,
    100lb anvil,
    Talent, inspired by my dad, to turn out what I need with the above gear...

K

• Pooh Bear
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Pillar Drill ??
    Is that a drill press or what.
    Never heard that term before.

Pooh Bear

• KevC___Ireland
    19 years ago

Yeah, a bench top model. thats what they're called over here, mines an 800w, 240v with a 16mm chuck. Up for what ever I need anyway.

K

• Pooh Bear
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Ok, that's a little over a 1hp with a 5/8 chuck.
    Or somewhere therebouts.

Pooh Bear

• JoeJ
    19 years ago

Hmmmm,

Hobart Titan 8 Combo, gas driven welder
    several sets of O/A torches
    3 Metabo grinders
    more handtools than 3 people could use in their lifetime
    (According to my wife)

Joe

• gooseberry_guy
    19 years ago

I've got a nice assortment of holesaws, from 11/16" all the way up to about 4 inch. If you're creative, you can do a lot more than just make round holes. Let's say you have a piece of 5/8 rod that needs to be turned down to 1/2 inch to fit a bearing, or needs to be threaded for 1/2 inch. If you use a 5/8 holesaw, you'll be in business. If you need an extension wand for a shop-vac, and you have some 2 inch PVC conduit or drain pipe, you can cut down one end using a 2-3/8 inch, and bore out the other end using a 2-1/4 inch saw.

I'm always in need of custom made tools for small engine work or auto and truck repairs, and I often make use of 1/4 or 3/8 inch plate that requires a large hole. Don't throw away the slugs that you cut out. Every now and then I go into my slug collection and find the perfect size for things like installing bearing seals. And if I don't have one I'll cut one out and attach a handle to it so I can install the seals.

Another example is an adapter I made for my 4-1/2 inch angle grinder that lets me use the thin fiber cut-off wheels. It's just a slug I cut out of some 3/8 inch flat stock, with a recess cut in it for the retaining nut to fit against.

Another handy tool is a portable band saw. It beats the heck out of cutting major size stock such as 3 inch X 3/8 angle with a hack saw, and it's a lot neater than a torch if you are doing something that needs precision. The best one I've found is a Milwaukee. The shoe that goes against the material is narrow, and makes it easier to keep it flat and square with the material. I've used a lot of other saws that had a wide shoe. These always seem to need adjustment, even new out of the box. The problem with the wide shoe is when you are trying to make a straight cut. The shoe contacts the workpiece about an inch away from the blade, and then the blade starts chattering, which shortens the life of the blade. I think the only reason for the wide shoe design, is so the saw manufacturers sell more blades. If you take reasonable care with a blade, and match the TPI to the material you're cutting, you should get good life from it. Using stick wax on the blade when cutting heavy stock will increase blade life also. Make sure you don't cut hardened materials with it.

GG

• john_in_ma
    19 years ago

Right, I forgot to mention those portable bandsaws. I have the deep-cut (lighter duty) Porta-Band, with variable speed. Useful as all get-out.

• gooseberry_guy
    19 years ago

John,

The one I've got, and the ones you usually find on the construction jobsites are the standard shallow cut. Ocassionally a deep cut. You can do a lot with the shallow size if you think out your cuts. Beyond that, it's either the torch or a sawzall.

GG

• City_Dude
    19 years ago

I've set up a miniature machine shop, in addition to the pictures I have a band saw, grinder, disc sander, the usual power hand tools and a stick welder. When not making things for the tractor I like to make parts for my model airplanes and helocopters with the occasional odd gun part now and then. I have full size equipment available for use at work for anything too large for the miniature machines.
    John

• EdConn
    19 years ago

Alright! a forum I can relate to.
    Milling: Fryer MB-11 CNC 3 Axis, Ex-cello knee-mill
    Turning: Leblond 15 x 72
    Freeport 6 x 18 Surface grinder

I was self employed for 12yrs until work took a dump. I'm a full time Estimator at another shop and part-time at home now for the last year 1-1/2.

• spambdamn_rich
    19 years ago

Ancient Milwaukee 22 inch drill press (belt driven, 220 volt, 1-1/2 HP, circa 1920)

Various grinders, including 6", 8", and HF Tool Grinder

Ryman dual buffing wheel

Vertical reciprocating filer

Portable Mapp/Oxy welding kit

55 lb vice

All steel welding bench

On the wish list:

Lathe
    Mill
    Flux/Mig welder
    Arc welder
    Sheet metal brake

• blacksmithman
    19 years ago

1928 9" SB Lathe
    1934 Tool Grinder, needs work
    Mill
    Drill Press
    Hand Grinders
    AC Welder
    Mig Welder(Flux Core)
    New Tig(Inverter Type)Welder - Harbor Freight
    Blacksmithing Tools, 225# Anvil, (2)blacksmith vises, Homemade forge, Tongs etc.
    Small hand rolls for making rings(flat or rod stock)
    Hand Bending Tool with many dies
    Hand punching tool

• Andy1975
    18 years ago

I am a 3rd generation engraver. We have 21 Kuhlmann CNC engraving machines, and about 8 panographs. I mostly do the setup work in the office, but I also operate a machine from time to time. We are located in Medina, OH.

• jodonne
    18 years ago

SHEAR:
    (1) Accurshear Power Shear, 1/4 Capacity X 10'
    BENDING:

(1) 60 Ton CNC Controlled GMC Press Brake 6'

(1) 175 Ton CNC Controlled Accurpress Brake 12'

(1) 150 Ton CNC Controlled Standard Press 12'

(1) 68 Ton CNC Controlled Verson Press Brake 8'
    PUNCHING:

(2) Bliss 18 Ton Press, OBI

(1) Bliss 68 Ton Press, OBI Wide Bed

(2) Power Notcher 6" Cutting Capacity

(2) Wiedmatic C-2000, 22 Station CNC Turrett Punch Press with Auto Index

(1) Wiedmatic W-3050, 32 Station CNC Turrett Punch Press

(1) Muratec M2048LT 44 Station 4 Auto Index Station Turret Press With F1G-1250 AutoMatic Load and Unload 48"x96" Cell Loader

MACHINING:

(1) Lagunmatic 310 CNC Milling Machine Table Size 50 X 10

(1) Enco Vertical Mill with Digital Readout

(1) Surface Grinder
    WELDING:

(1) Peer Air Operated 30 KVA Spot welder

(2) Westronic 30 KVA Spot welders

(1) Miller 30 Amp Arc welder

(1) Millermatic 250 Wire welder
    SAWS:

(1) Kalamazoo Pwer Cut-Of Saw, 14" Blade

(1) Enco Horizontal Band Saw

(1) Auto Feed Kysor/Johnson Horizontal Bandsaw
    DEBURR:

(1) Viberdien Tumble, Tank Capacity 16" X 30" X 20"

(2) Belt Sanders

(2) Grinders W/Deburr Wheel & Various General Deburring Items

(1) Timesaver W/36" Belt

(1) Automatic Deburr Edger
    INSPECTION:

(2) Granite Surface Plates

(1) 24" Height Gage

(1) 12" Height Gage
    Various Sizes & Quantities of the Following:

Micrometers

Gage Blocks, Pins

Indicators

Calipers

Parallels

Angle Blocks

Calibration Standards
    HANDLING EQUIPMENT:

(1) 6000 LB Forklift

(1) 8000 LB Forklift
    SPECIAL EQUIPMENT:

(1) Fixture W/Multi-Air Drills, can be utilized in Several Configurations

(14) Strippett Holders, Capable of Punching up to 2" Dia.
    PROGRAMMING CAPABILITIES:

Primary programming software is TEKSOFT 2001 CAD/CAM.
    With this software we are capable of, but not limited to, importing data from the following formats: Auto Cad Drawing Exchange (DXF), Auto Cad drawing file (DWG), Initial Graphics Exchange (IGES) and Cad Key (CDL).
    DRILLING:

(1)Delta Multi Drill Press
    Did I mention I run a sheet metal shop????
    This is going to be a great forum. The tips and tricks that can be shared will be great.

Sponsored
Fairfax Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars53 Reviews
DC Area's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Experts